NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the Neuse at Kinston on Hwy70 By-pass, water was way out of the banks. I was hoping to make a few cast with the fly rod. I took a few pics and then headed to another location. Went to the old Holiday Inn/True Value area bridge. I found a small stretch where I could cast easy...I had 2 hits and caught and released both sticks. :D

I was hoping to hit a hickory fish but got a hickory limb. Here are a few of the pics..top one is what it should look like to fish. The rest you can tell the difference. Water marks on the ground looked like the river may have fell a few inches.

It won't be long now.

THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE...BUT CHECK OUT THE PICS BELOW... CHECK OUT HOW HIGH THE
POLES ARE ABOVE THAT GUYS HEAD HE'S 6 FOOT TALL...THEN CHECK OU THE PICS

Couldn't help but capture this sign... :eek:

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
good deal scott great pics is that dock supposed to be that far out in the water?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at the top pic..thats the way it is suppose to look like...the
other pics are how high the water is now with all the rain.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Wow. That water is high. Once it get into shape I'll be willing to do a day trip and fish with you Scott. I need to stock up on some catfish bait for the year. Most likely could take a day off work if needed. I normally use all of my sick day for fishing days. I'm ready to tug on some fish.

Tim C

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10-4 TimC....ready for some shad action I see. If we can hit em like
last time its no problem filling the cooler..:):) I'll keep you posted
on how the fishing is going. We;ll hit it when they are running pretty
good.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
thats what i thought scott but wasnt sure lol,its definetly up then :)

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where you see the NO Parking signs...there are several light poles
stuck up about 3 foot high....they are under water. Best fishing is
when the water is at the base of them of just down a little more.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang wheres the road to dock. Glad you got into a couple sticks while you were there :D

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'd love to have a cooler full for cat'n too!!

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will add another great held secret ....

Catfish will go all over the roe/eggs from a shad or anyfish for that
fact, even other catfish eggs. Get a small mesh bag or red onion bag
and put a nice hunk of fish eggs in it. The small mess and current
washes small eggs down stream and creates a nice chum. CAts will
bust it wide open...so hold on tight...:):)

Maybe I should have kept that one till Red X event was over.....but
thats cool and glad to share, maybe see some monster cats at the
meet and greet...:)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Works great for the Rock too... Last year we did not buy any Herring :)
i asked about that once and didn't hear much, i assume you fish em just like cut bait. did you try freezing any or did you catch em fresh each trip? if you froze em, how did you go about doing it?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just froze it and broke it up when it thawed. You have to have something to put in in once cut. Panty hose, mesh bag, onion bag or something tht will hold some for the fish to hit.

I have caught catfish, dressed em out and took the roe/eggs and put on a hook and put it right back out and caught more on those eggs. They can be messy so have a rag available to clean you hands..:)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Just froze it and broke it up when it thawed. You have to have something to put in in once cut. Panty hose, mesh bag, onion bag or something tht will hold some for the fish to hit.

I have caught catfish, dressed em out and took the roe/eggs and put on a hook and put it right back out and caught more on those eggs. They can be messy so have a rag available to clean you hands..:)
thanks scott, but i was asking about freezing shad for cut bait when rock fishing haha ;):)

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just put em in a plastic bag like you get at the grocery store. I put 2 fish in and wrap it up and place in the freezer. When I leave I just grab 1 or how many bags I want and go.

I have a freezer in the barn just for baitfish and such. So mama don't go out there. If I was using the freezer at the house I would take better precautions...FREEZER bags.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts