NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on the Neuse tonight and caught this estimated 20 lb blue on live bream.
Here is my question. I had a live bream on my line near the bank. Suddenly my clicker slowly starts going and in a second it's screaming. I engaged the reel to hook the fish and about as soon as the rod doubles over it feels like the fish has come off. I mutter under my breath and start reeling my line in. Suddenly my rod is yanked to the side and I see my line ripping through the water going upstream! I tighten up again and that quick again, no weight. I reel in my sinker , swivel and leader but no hook. It was cut clean right where the hook was. I Snell my circle hooks and have confidence in my knots. My leaders are 50 lb mono. Ideas??

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gar teeth don't really cut leaders and they also surface and thrash about as soon as they are hooked.. I'm not the type that cries shark whenever something cuts my line but I really don't know what else it would have been..... Whatever this was never broke the surface.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I really doubt it could either. It's the only thing I can think of with the kind of hardware to cut a thick line. A bowfin could if you left it on a line all night so it could wear at it but not that quick. How far up the Neuse were you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.