1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked out Milburnie at lunch today.

I'd say the water is high..
Plant Tree Natural landscape Shade Branch Water Water resources Tree Wood Sky

The island downstream of the bridge is underwater.
Water Sky Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams Tree

Upstream the river is about 3-4ft away from being the same height as the dam.
Water Sky Ecoregion Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ya think? I have never seen it that high.. You'd be better off fishing from the bridge (if at all). I am sure that current is moving.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya think? I have never seen it that high.. You'd be better off fishing from the bridge (if at all). I am sure that current is moving.
I've only seen it higher than that one other time. It was when I first moved to Raleigh. We had a hurricane that broke up into a tropical storm that dropped 8inches. I went to check out the river and the parking lot was flooded so at the time I didn't even know the parking lot was there.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Jordan Lake has risen about 4 ft since yesterday morning and looking at the graph will continue to rise for a while. I am sure the Neuse river basin is probably pretty full too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wow...I was worried water levels would be high after all the rain that we've had, but that is ridiculous. I'm going to rent one of the jon boats on Lake Johnson tomorrow to do a little bass/crappie fishing. Hopefully it won't be too bad. Oh well...if nothing else it will be a nice day on the lake.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
We caught 4 -4 lbers, 1 5 lb bass , bunch of channel cats today Nats dad catching a solid 7 lb cat and was it Aki who caught the other big cat??? ..anyway Fishwhisperer caught the biggest bass and we had a a ok day around some strong current breaks today on Jordan......All bass fell to the Spot///should be awesome fishing in the am but none of us can make it......water rose about a foot while were out there.......really good fishing sometimes when the haw rages like it did today

Aki, that last throw with the castnet you actually caught more shines than shad......

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have been around Raleigh all this week and we got a TON of rain, all of that is pushing through now.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
That storm thurday afternoon through Friday morning dropped a huge amount of rain all the way down the neuse basin. I'm tired of the neuse being fast and muddy.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I went to a dam that is on a tributary of the neuse. The river is HIGH, about 4x above normal height and the entire area was flooded with about 10x the normal amount of water coming over the dam. I was throwing the cast net when I hear voices and look up towards the dam to see 4 little girls around middle school age halfway out across the spillway. The river is so high that the water is coming over the dam and then coming over the retaining wall of the main spillway that is above capacity and an excess of about 100 CFS is pouring over that wall and down the secondary spillway. These girls are above their ankles in fast moving water about 10 feet across the second spillway. They are holding up a phone, aparently taking selfies, completely oblivious to the fact that they WILL die if they slip. The spillway they are on pours down into a churning pool. There is so much current that I wasn't even able to get a 8 ounce pyrimid sinker to stick today. I started YELLING telling them to get off the spillway right now. Fortunately they listened and got back out of the spillway. I went over and told them that people have died there even when the river is no where near as high. Had they slipped it would have been a really bad situation for everyone there. I'm glad nothing happened but people seriously need to talk to inform their children about how much force even a few inches of water can carry.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I went by McDonald's on the way home and got a fish sandwich.

Interesting day and great spot. Kudos to Mack.

Reactions: sundrop
1 - 14 of 14 Posts