NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received this email from the Upper Neuse Riverkeeper, Dean Naujoks, earlier this week - I think there may have been a notice posted a while back, but I wish I had gotten this reminder posted sooner. Gotta work on that bridge to the NRF (more in the queue)...
Subject: Neuse River Spring Clean up April 14th
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:04:28 -0400

I just wanted to remind everyone that our 5th Annual Neuse River Spring Clean up is this Saturday April 14th. I have attached a flyer, but will also direct you to our website,

WWW.NEUSERIVERKEEPERS.ORG, for maps and all the check-in stations. As always, we will provide gloves, trash bags, bottled water and free shuttle service for people who want to bring their own canoes or kayaks. We also have free canoe rentals on a first come first serve basis at the following locations: Falls Dam, Milburnie Dam, Poole Road, Highway 42 and SmithfieldCommons. Check website for maps and directions.

We are now covering more than 70 miles; Falls Dam down to Smithfield as well as a section of the Neuse in Kinston as well as on major tributaries on Contentnea Creek and Crabtree Creek (I have attached flyer for Crabtree Creek location in Raleigh). We also have several areas where people can come out and clean up on land along the area green ways. Check the website or flyer for details.

To date, 776 volunteers have removed more than 53,000 lbs of trash and debris from the river, all access points to the river and along river greenways. This is a tremendous community event. I hope you all plan to come out this weekend. Thanks to everyone who have made this event successful.

Thanks,
Dean Naujoks
Upper NeuseRiverkeeper
NeuseRiver Foundation
112 South Blount Street
Raleigh, NC27601
919-856-1180
919-839-0767
[email protected]
www.neuseriver.org
Working to protect Falls Lake and the Neuse River
Waterkeeper Alliance Member
I've attached the flyers with directions for the Raleigh meeting spots.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Yup, that sure would have been nice to have had more notice of...

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Received this update on Saturday's cleanup via email:

Press Release
For Immediate Release:

5th Annual Neuse River Spring Clean Up
Saturday April 14, 8 AM to 2 PM
Sponsored by the NeuseRiver Foundation

Dean Naujoks, Upper Neuse Riverkeeper Cell: 919 412-0129
Website information: Neuse RIVERKEEPER©

CLEAN-UP TOTALS!

Weight in pounds: 22,490
Number of Bags: 399
Number of Tires: 56
Number of Volunteers: 241

Unusual items: washer and dryer, 2 grocery carts, picnic table, car windshield, car bumper, high chair, back seat of a car, boat trailer, 2 water heaters,2 toilets, propane tank!

Weirdest item: The “head” of a toy alligator found next to the head of a “Ken” doll floating in the river.

The clean up covers 50 miles of river between Falls Dam in North Raleigh and Smithfield Town Commons in Johnston County. In addition we added a 12-mile stretch in downtown Kinston and are now covering sections of Crabtree Creek in Raleigh. It gets bigger every year. It is now the largest river cleans up in the state!

This is a real community effort, involving youth groups, church groups, civic organizations, college students and river enthusiasts. Wake County and Johnston County are waiving the landfill fees and the cities of Raleigh, Smithfield, Kinston and Snow Hill are providing garbage trucks and staff to remove trash.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
All that trash and junk. It is kinda sad. How much does a landfill or dump charge to take an appliance? 5 or 10 bucks. It seems like it would take more effort to find somewhere to dump something, than to pay five bucks and throw it in a dumpster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.