NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I have a resort certificate that is expiring that I must book now. New Bern is one of the places on the list and it looks pretty fishy! Just wandering whats there to target in early Oct. I do have a boat I can bring either a pontoon or 16 ft Rib that moves pretty good. Just wanting some info on what fish are there to target at that time. Staying just downstream of New Bern in Harbour Plantation. Any thoughts would be great

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not exactly sure where Harbour Plantation is, but Oct is a great time for trout and red drum, also the closer you are to New Bern, stripers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harbour plantation is the hotel area just downstream of New Bern. Looks like maybe mile or so. What type of Boat is run in this area? I know zero about New Bern and the Neuse River so any info would be great. My thoughts are bring my smaller boat 16 ft rib to fish around bridges there at New Bern and in that general area. I don't have anything to run out in big open water would I still be OK there.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Pontoon boat I would say no. Lots of stumps and stuff to hit. Your Jon boat would be fine in the creeks and river if weater is good. It can get bad in the drop of a hat so be safe. Oct is a great time to fish and Rick said what you would be looking for.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would start your vacation with charter with Capt. Gary Dubiel and then fish the river on your own in your jon boat. That area can be a tough nut to crack.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Forget the pontoon boat. All kind of options around New Bern. Stripers, trout, puppy drum, flounder for saltwater. Hit up the Trent, Brices Creek and Swift Creek for fresh water stuff. I think there is a launch there at Fair Field Harbor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds really good. there is a dock and launch there at Fairfield. You can swing right around the place there and your in upper Broad creek from what I see on the map. I'll be asking questions as I get closer but what typically do folks do there in Sept Oct? Is it live bait drifting/anchoring around bridges there at New Bern or running up in the creeks and throwing topwater/artificials. Just trying to get a feel for what I expect to be doing. I'm a smallmouth/musky guide in WV and lots of my gear will work for stripers, trout and puppy drum and somewhat similar styles but I have no objection to bait fishing either. I really appreciate the feedback here

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Red drum, speckled trout striper, and flounder should be in Broad Creek good that time of year. You can catch them on most anything from top to bottom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts