NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the storm last year hit us hard , but man . you are hard pressed to find a bream or anything else for that matter in there . i have fished core creek and the river for bream and cats and just not finding much at all. .if they are somewhere im not looking let me know.. .it's sad really . .Used to catch a bream anywhere . .

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven't been fishing in the past year and a half or so, but my wife and I have always caught bream (for catfish bait) and cats anywhere from Pitchkettle creek to Spring Garden. There is an awesome hole about 35' deep at Pitchkettle where the river takes a hard right turn. I actually had my favorite rod and reel get pulled overboard by a catfish there several years back. About that same time, a man that lives just downstream from the Pitchkettle showed me the heads of a 60 and 70 pound flathead caught at the mouth of Pitchkettle creek. Just don't give up.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I have only been once or twice to Core Creek, near FortBarnwell this yesr. The last time I went, there were some wildlife guys in there shocking fish. They told me there was a lot of damge done to fish from the last hurricane. I didn't ask how much of the river and creeks were affected.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in ft. barnwell .. .it is just sad going and not even finding a bream .. i think the cats and bowfin are still around more so than anything else ..i talked to some guys who fish around the creeks for crappie and they said they weren't even catching a quarter of what they caught last spring and early summer . .Never see a bass fisherman unless it's someone like me whose not serious about it..i just think it's gonna take some time to get them back.. .doubt we will ever see them how they were when i was a kid..five for every cypress knee .. .anyway if anyone has any luck around ft barnwell,grifton , area and beyond let me know .. .give me some hope!! haha . .. anyway .. .end of my rant

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
I have been disappointed with the results of our fishing trips to the Neuse this year as well. Although I have been catching fish, not many are the 20+ # fish we have grown to expect to catch from this section of river. But I have been broken off twice (50# leader) around 7Springs with in the past month so I know there are still some monsters in the honey holes.

The spawn has been going hard the past few weeks so I expect the fishing to pick way up very soon.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Rouse is one of my all time great fishing buddy!! We are looking forward to fishing with you soon!! Maybe this weekend!! If not it will be soon!! You are right! The fish population is on a big down swing...we love to fish for bows but they are not there like a couple of years ago. Eddie and I fished with flyrods in Contentnea for gills and in three miles of river we only got maybe two very small 3" B gills. The water level has been high this spring and hopefully it will result in a good spawn and we will hope for a turnaround next yr.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like i said.. sad. i amlooking a sitter to get out there at some point sat. i am free Sunday if anyone is going out for sure . me and the baby may just come by to say hi even if i cannot fish. Let me know when you guys are arriving to the campground.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Rouse D and JCNNB will leave Kinston around 7:30, I will be leaving with Rhonda and Ole Rebel around 10:30, Doc will be leaving around 12:00...we are scattered but hope the weather holds out and the smoke will be low!! C. Lane if it don't work out this time we will be on the water next week too!! if things change for me on Sunday I will call you!! Take care, see you soon!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok, So I decided to take the boat to the Neuse Today. We put in at the WRC ramp off Bill Lane Blvd, we couldn't get 50 feet downriver without bottoming out. Is it always that shallow in that area. Really made me not want to go fish the Neuse now.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Water levels are way down and if we don't get some good rain it will continue to get shallower. Its typical summer time waters now so don't expect it to get better till about fall when we get lots of rain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.