NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got our first gar of the year in the Neuse. Not a big one but hopefully the first of many. Lots of bites but this is the only one we could land. Tried a double hook set up to increase our chances with no luck. I guess we love catching them because it's such a challenge to get a good hook up on one from shore.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I had one on for a minute today too. I did not expect to land it. To much bone and teeth in the way for a hook.

If your trying for them. You might add something to the hook that will tangle in their teeth. Or that they won't be able to spit out easily.

mikeski

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. We were using live minnows. I've tried the rope rig before and got a bite but never got it tangled enough. I've tried so many different setups for these it's ridiculous and still our hookup rate is very small. He loves the gar so much we saved up for a trip to Tx a few years back and got a gator gar near Houston- of course I love them too. At about 75 pounds that one weighed about as much as him.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Go to GASS....Gar anglers sportsmen society.....

This rig will give you 50 percent hookups if you do it right..... # 1 hook. tie it and leave a long tag end ....tie a small treble to that end. Hook bass minnow in lips or eyes with single hook and in tail with treble. fish 1-1 1/2 ft under bobber. let gar run 1 minute. set hook hard. use 50 lb spiderwire for rig....i have had 50 percent hookups when i used to gar fish alot.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
5 different kinds of meat in a turtle they say.
I've eaten it in a stew and I thought it was pretty good.
I've never cleaned one. I know some folks that catch those big snappers and pen em up a few weeks to clean em out before they slaughter them. They chase a turtle like most folks will chase a dollar.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I try and let them run with it but about half the time the bobber will just pop back up downstream after about 30 sec. I've tried using the smallest bobber possible so it doesn't tug on the bait as much as it gets submerged but it doesn't help enough. I guess that's why gar fishing is so addictive because we'll get 25 bites and try we're lucky to land one even. I've tried the treble hook thing but my thought is that a single hook with a treble trailer would be hard for them to swallow and if it did swallow both it might be more apt to die. Bigger hooks didn't work so my current setup is just a single #1 size hook. I also think that being on shore has something to do with making it harder. I have caught them from a boat and you have a better angle to pull up on them and from shore unless they take it far upstream then you're pulling the minnow out of the side of their mouth.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The rig from GASS they dont always swallow it. 1 minute running with it they just get it in their mouth. small treble and # 1 hook do hook them on the beak if you set hook hard and use spiderwire..Gass recommend two # 4 trebles ..when i was fishing for the state record for several years I had aprox 50 percent hookups with this rig.

·
Registered
367 Posts
They're pretty decent to eat. You'll just about need tin snips to clean him. Go down his back and take the 2 pieces of backstrap and throw the rest away. They call it poor man's lobster. Different texture than fish, but we deep fry them just like crappie fillets.

I would've never eaten one, but my buddy's brother lives in Arkansas and they eat them all the time. He put us on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.