NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drum season has set in but still needs major improvements. The bait is not as thick as we want and drum scattered at best but still providing some great excitement.
Bait has taken the lead currently for hooking up on these beasts. Fresh Mullet and menhaden soaked on bottom on shoal ledges doing the best – skinny water working well now too.
DOA Popping corking is working also but having to work extra hard finding bait areas to fish – should improve real soon.
The Rock are still very active in New Bern on top water. Get out early Am or late PM for the best action – Watch for birds – may find a school feeding under bait now too.
There has been good showing of small pups and flounder with a few small trout moved in along the river shore. Lot of fun but hope they grow and reproduce!
I have some openings in September for Old Drum and booking fall Rock and Trout trips into fall.
Rebecca Johnson Water Glasses Boat Shorts Smile
of Murphy NC had a 41 inch, Allen Vasser a 46 Vertebrate Shorts Water Mammal Fisherman
and Richard Capps of Rocky Mt Va a 47 Water Boat Vertebrate Shorts Watercraft

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
If you need bait or are looking for a charter don't hesitate to give Capt Dave a call. On top of being able to supply you with mullet, (it's been hard to get) he also has the best selection of DOA products around and when you buy from him you might be able to talk him into a little knowledge of the fishery. Good luck getting that online or from your local box store.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Looking forward to it picking up by next week.....:) Gonna be hard to fish for 5 or so solid days, just hope the winds lay down some this trip. Last trip it howled out of the east, straight down the river. Things are shaping up so we should have some productive days. I can feel a trout thumping my grub already....:) for I have a dream.

Trigger we will think about you brother and slap a big old girl and set her free for you..:)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Looking forward to it picking up by next week.....:) Gonna be hard to fish for 5 or so solid days, just hope the winds lay down some this trip. Last trip it howled out of the east, straight down the river. Things are shaping up so we should have some productive days. I can feel a trout thumping my grub already....:) for I have a dream.

Trigger we will think about you brother and slap a big old girl and set her free for you..:)
Fish Fin Grass Ray-finned fish Seafood

I got a purdy one Sunday morning on top water, it's getting better.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Give Capt. Dave a call for one of those open slots. It's getting started and will only get better from here. One of my best trips came three days after Hurricane Isabel which was mid-September. If your boat is big enough, don't be afraid of the wind. A strong NE wind pushing on the shoals is a great time and place to be.

We caught bait around Harker's Island this past Friday at lunch. The wind was steady that morning at 10 to 13 and forecast to drop out for an easy ride home in the dark. Instead it picked up to what felt like 15 to 20, higher gusts, with some of the waves in the mouth of the Neuse starting to crest and break.

We were going to run around to Cedar Island, but the thought of running back in the dark from Cedar Island in a 15 - 20 NE wind called for change. With the late start and wind, we stopped short setting up in twelve feet of water on the edge of a shoal. Fished from 5 to 8pm with four fish in the 41 to 46 inch range, first fish hitting at 5:45. Got back to the dock about 10:00.

I take plenty of bait. I re-bait every fifteen minutes and cut the old bait in to small chunks for chumming. I'll cut the head and tail off a fresh menhaden leaving the middle third for bait, cutting the front and back thirds into chum.

The photos are of my older son. He was about ten in the first photo, twelve in the second and the rest are from this past Friday. Man, how time flies.

Water Smile Boat Outdoor recreation Sky

Fish Fisherman Sleeve T-shirt Ray-finned fish

Water Sky Shorts Vertebrate Boat

Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft

[video]http://vid772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/Rick2-60/Drum%20Fishing%208-15_zpsadcj06ed.mp4[/video]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.