NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the Neuse just outside of goldsboro on saturday. we were in the market for some catfish but had a VERY plesent suprise. ROCKFISH!!! and alot of them. we did end the night with a couple of 20+ blue cats but it was to dark to film. Also caught a personel best bowfin. Enjoy the video. All fish caught were released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxDYUpPq6HQ&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Size on rock in the Neuse River....18-22 you can keep, 22-27 slot you have to throw back, 27 and over you can keep, creel is 2 fish per person. Different river systems have different size limits and restrictions, so check the regs for the river you are headed to fish.

Nice video guys......."Live Action"

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i think the first one was a lil short but the last one the guy in front filming caught was prob 19-20in keeper...I'm originally from goldsboro as well and its nice to see them there this early, i fished the neuse for shad earlier this year but have been hitting the roanoke up last few weeks for rock mainly catching shorts and a few keepers. Hope that all changes as were heading back this weekend to tear em up again! I wanna BIGGUN';)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah we wern't to sure on the size regulations. didnt matter to much because we didnt plan on keeping them but thanks for the info. to tell you the truth we had no intentions to catch any rocks becasue people are SOOOOO secretive about them around here that they dont want to talk about it. i knew they are here just didnt know where.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Love the videos You are turning me into a Nuese River fan. After the last video my 9 year old and I loaded up the boat and hit the nuese at 117. Did not catch any shad but we gave it a good shot. We made a video that day also. Tring to do something new, tired of the Harris lake crazies. Going to try to get down there this weekend to get him a striper. Do you think they will hit large bass minnows?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have herd of people catching them on large bass minnows but i have tried it with no luck. your best bet is to catch some bream. the small one you can use live but the bigger ones i just cut up and use the head first. like i said in the video, bream is whats in the river so thats what i use plus i find it just as fun to catch bait. we are going to get on the river a little early on saturday and try to cast spinner baits at em. I have never casted for em on the river so it will be intresting to say leaset.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
There are several spawning areas between Smithfied and goldsboro...1 is really good ..alot of the stripers never want to go all the way up......I fish some out of a private ramp near one of the areas....Mack

·
Registered
526 Posts
we are going to get on the river a little early on saturday and try to cast spinner baits at em. I have never casted for em on the river so it will be intresting to say leaset.
If you are going to cast for them, You might want to try some Smithwick rattlin rogues in either blue or black. They work well for the rock on the upper Tar River

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
rogues are good , so are big rebel minnows and sebile swimbaits if they are high in th e water column , if not throw sassy shads or butterbean bucktails....

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are several spawning areas between Smithfied and goldsboro...1 is really good ..alot of the stripers never want to go all the way up......I fish some out of a private ramp near one of the areas....Mack
Mac, theirs a WHOLE lot of water between goldsboro and smithfeild. hahahahaha i can only think of two creeks big enough to hold spawning stripers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts