NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Friend and I went to New Bern yesterday. Got into the convict bass pretty good. Dropped in at Lawsons and motored over to train trestle. Caught one on my first cast with a red and white hyperstriper. But one thing I did find out there is a reason they call them eels rock candy. Them stripes love em and when you catch one on eel there is no doubt if it is a keeper. My first one was right on the line so I released it. My buddy was doing most of his fishing with the eels. I caught one on mirror lure to. Twicthing that thing and it felt like I had it a log. One great strike.
After the stripe bite stopped we moved over to bridge to try for speckled pin fish. My buddy caught another stripe that almost pulled the rod out on boat. Pulled the rod slam out of rod holder. No specks however. Seen a few boats fishing there but didn't see anyone catching anything.
Moved to broad creek. Caught one speck on gulp by a metal wall at some marina. Right I 12 inches but was iffy so I decided not to risk it and throwed him back.
Finished off the day by going back to long train trestle by Glenburnie ramp.
My buddy caught one more stripe.
All in all our best day at new bern yet.
We had five keeper stripers all between 5 to 8 lbs and wound up with 8 or 9 stripes and one trout for total caught for the day.
James

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Neuse River Stipers

jeffonc, we got eels from neuse sport shop in kinston. 1.75 each but they last a while. joe caught a couple of fish on one eel. he told me he still has 4 alive.
1sgt , it is one exciting way to fish also. there was one time that a smaller striper was trying to attack the eel but couldn't swallow him i guess (eel prob 11-16 inch not sure but they were long) the striper was chasing that thing and the eel was swimmming, bass a swirling that was neat to watch. then joe throwed an eel up near the rocks by the train trestle you talking about an explosive strike, the stripe must have been lying right there, he struck an knocked the eel slam out of the water. missed the hook up and would not hit again but after that show it didn't matter.
Best of luck when you go
James

·
Registered
5,795 Posts

GREAT JOB JAMES, I GLAD YOU GOT DOWN TO NEW BERN AND FOUND THOSE STRIPERS, MAN THEY ARE A BLAST, NEVER FISHED WITH ELLS BEFORE TO MUCH LIKE A SNAKE TO ME, DID YOU USE ANY RATTLE TRAPS? WHERE ARE THE PICS.....THANKS FOR THE REPORT AND GIVING THE FEVER TO 1sgt DAVE...................CHRIS

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

tc I didn't even think to try some rattletraps. I posted the photos to the member gallerie page but can't figure out how to add them to this post.
Can anybody tell me how you add pictures to your thread post?
thanks
James

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I went online and looked it up as I had never used them before either. What you do is get them cold put some ice in water with them, then when you get em out of water grab hold of the slippery sucker with a rag so you can hold on to him then either whack their tail against something hard or give em a crack on the back so they won't knot their tail and twist your line finally hook the eel under the chin and come out an eye socket.
We fished them under corks but the article I read said you also fish them on a carolina rig too.
Best of luck to you
James

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Miss Perfect (sorry For Not Answering Sooner Haven't Been On In A While) I Am Not Sure Of Color But It Is Kinda Of A Natural Minnow Color, Sinking Minow Type. It Was My First Time Using One But I Just Throwed It Out And Twitched It Kinda A Pause Twitch And Yank. Varying My Retrieve Until 1 Hit.
Sorry Can't Give You More Info But That's All I Did.
Hope That Helps
James

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.