NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to make my annual trek for shad late this week. Normally I go to Roanoke river near Roanoke Rapids, but in the interest of seeing something different was thinking about visiting the Neuse River. Someone suggested that the area near Spring Garden landing offered good shad fishing along with the possibility for some decent blue cats.
Since I know nothing about the Neuse I have a few questions for anyone who might be willing to share.

- I've seen reports of shad being caught pretty well over the last couple weeks. Are they still in the river pretty good?

- Is there an area of the river that would offer a better chance of targeting both shad and cats?

- Would a 17' fiberglass boat with prop be suitable, or would a 14' jonboat with jet drive offer any advantage?

I realize that fishermen have put in alot of time over the years finding the best spots and are not always willing to share, but I was just looking for some general information if possible.

Thanks in advance for any information you might be willing to share.

Take care and good fishing!!
Bob

·
Registered
940 Posts
Last I heard the shad were hitting well in the Kinston / Goldsboro area on the Neuse. I Have been doing well on Contentnea Creek, but went to Weldon myself this week and the Hickory are definitely in there. Always wanted to go check out the Cape Fear Lock 1 and Dam 1 but haven't heard a thing from there (good cat area as well). Just some things to look into.

Reactions: crabman00

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Last I heard the shad were hitting well in the Kinston / Goldsboro area on the Neuse. I Have been doing well on Contentnea Creek, but went to Weldon myself this week and the Hickory are definitely in there. Always wanted to go check out the Cape Fear Lock 1 and Dam 1 but haven't heard a thing from there (good cat area as well). Just some things to look into.
Ncwildlife.com says that they have shocked up lots of shad all the way up to lock dam 2. I heard of some people doing well at lock dam one lately.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shad have been biting good at the Hwy 70 river bridge in Kinston, people there everyday sunup til dark. Alot of good catfishing along the river either way from Spring Garden. As for boats, I'd go with the prop - jet drive don't like the current.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Should be plenty of shad and catfish in the Kinston area. That catfish rod may get slammed by a Striper...:) as they pass thru also. There are 2 ramps in Kinston, one on Hwy 70 and the other across from the Neuse Nature Center. Nature Center is a good place to camp or put a camper.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We caught some shad, but they were few and far between. Didn't catch any decent cats. At least we got to see a new river. Fished around Kinston and then went down river to area around Cowpen and Spring Garden. At least when I read about it now I'll have a picture in my head of the area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.