NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I talked with some folks in a few different tackle shops about what has been Hot this year and all have mentioned the Revo. A lot of features for the money. The Shimano guys are actually feel this reel is serious compertition for their offerings.

A big change in the fishing world in that Pure Fishing which owns, Berkley, Abu and Mitchell was recently purchased by the Coleman Corporation

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Backlash.

I have mixed feeling about Coleman taking over Pure Fishing. I hope they don't cheapen the products in order to increase the margins. On the other had they are a great marketing company so maybe they can expand the lines and increase R&D for some cool new products.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I am with you Topsail. I hope the Abu line doesn't go dwon hill any further and maybe it will increase the offering.

I am interested to see how Shakespeare is going to change Penn since they bought them out a few months ago.

Mark

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't know enough to have an opinion..LOL But that is one SEXY reel!;)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I wish I could use an open faced reel... I'm nothing but the grand daddy of backlashers with one, no matter what I do... sigh...
When I think "open faced reel", I've always thought that was referring to spinning reels, not baitcasters. Have I had this wrong all this time? (As if two years was a long time...)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i don't own a revo sx, but have seriously considered purchasing one. the sx is $150 and the s model is $100 -- but the sx has external magnetic controls so you don't have to open the reel and adjust the pins for cast control. these are elegant reels -- very light but capable of 24lbs of drag pressure (sic!). the main reason i haven't bought one yet is i'm concerned about using it in saltwater. ambassadeur is in fact coming out with an inshore version of the revo series later this year (google "revo inshore" -- there's even [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x0TbfbQOIU"]YouTube - Abu Garcia Revo Inshore[/ame] about it) -- but i think at significant increase in $$$ (perhaps $250). some people do apparently use the revos in salt water -- looks like they'd be great for big drum and trout, but i worry they won't hold up to salt as well as the round reels. if salt water use is not a priority, it seems to me you'd be hard pressed to find a better reel for the $$$.

FWIW -- joel

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
hey! long time no hear from Reid!

Set that monkey free man!

Looks like a good reel, dont think you can go wrong with that Abu...
Spec wise, looks like it should be smooth, cast well, and with a lesser lb. test line should have good capacity and appears to have some speed to it as well. Lot's of bearings in there..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.