NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Army buddy of mine is on a vacation in Oak Island this week with his family, hadn't seen him in a couple years as he was stationed in Germany. He's been into fishing for a long time, but mostly freshwater, trout and such. He has never caught a red drum so I offered to attempt to get him on some. I told him to be prepared for dissappointment cause I hardly know what I'm doing, but I would give it a shot.

I've never fished around Oak Island before so it was all new to me, but did some map recon and picked an area not to far from a public ramp. We saw tons of bait moving around in and around the grass on an outgoing tide, but no signs of feeding while going through the narrow cuts through the grass. The wind was up a bit so I wasn't looking forward to going into a more open area on the other side, but we had to give it a shot cause we saw what appeared to be some feeding near the surface. We caught some bait near the ramp just in case and that's what he used almost exclusively while going through the grass flats and about half way into this open bay area we came to. Nothing was hitting the live bait, sans one bite that took half the mullet behind the hook, most likely a bluefish.

We came to an area that had a lot of feeding activity near the surface, just behind an exposed oyster shoal. I threw my skitterwalk next to some grass and walked it away about ten feet before it got hammered and the first fish of the day was bending my rod at about 8:30. My first in-slot redfish had the most beautiful blue tail and one perfect spot. Measured just over 19" and I released him to fight another day. Water Sky Hat Vertebrate Sunglasses
We saw plenty more action in the area, but couldn't manage another bite. The tide was getting out of there pretty quick so we headed out of the flat in search of deeper water.

Moved across a channel where some 3-4 boats were anchored, fishing for flounder I would guess. Found some skinny water and managed to find some cuts and points that looked worthwhile. I told my buddy to look in my tackle and try something new so he chose a redfish magic spinner with rootbeer chart tail. He managed to pick up a nice keeper flounder, also about 19", so we each had one fish for the day. Water Sky Shorts Fisherman Lake
He had one more solid bite after that but didn't hook up. We called it a day at about 11:30 so he could go spend some time with the family at the beach house.

Not a banner day of fishing, but success on new water with a good friend, is a great day in my book.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're figuring those drum out now. You know you are starting to understand a fish when you can go to a completely new area and catch them. Good job!
I wouldn't say I've figured them out, but I did learn from this experience. Really wish I could have got my buddy on one too, but you can't complain about a nice flounder either.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that redfish #2 Q4R??? Nice job! A slot red and a keeper flounder by 11:30 isn't a bad day by any stretch of the imagination!
Actually my #3. Caught a short first, then an over slot at just over 28", and now this one. I catch one just frequently enough to keep me excited about it, but am looking forward to that day when I can bring about 20 to the boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.