NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of my flyfishing has been in saltwater or freshwater ponds and rivers just inland from the ocean. Going on a hunting trip to the mountains in October and gonna pack my fly rod incase the deer don't cooperate. Any tips on fishing for trout would be greatly appreciated. Gonna be on the Big Snow Bird Creek in Graham County.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If a bunch of leaves aren't falling into the stream (for you to constantly snag) ....trout fishing should be good. Part of Big Snowbird is designated as Delayed Harvest (catch and release) and is being stocked on Oct. 7. Should be plenty of fish. I'd immediately rig a yarn "salmon" egg on the end of my leader and then tie on a Hare's Ear, Prince or Pheasant Tail nymph about 10" off the back of the egg. Put on some split shot to sink it quickly to get the flies on or near the bottom and add a strike indicator. Don't worry about fancy casting...just swing and plop it out (or roll cast) into likely looking runs and pools. At the slightest indication, twitch, pause, shudder etc. of the strike indicator...tighten the line...play and land the fish. Add some pink San Juan worms and Wooly Buggers to your fly selection and watch some online instructional videos on fishing nymphs. Enjoy and Good Luck...casting and blasting!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.