NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellow anglers, I need some help. Im getting ready to start up guiding and i am in the market for a new boat. I am wanting something i an run in the backwater, drop the trolling motor down in the creek flats or bay and fish skinny. And also run skinny. But i am also seeking something that if it is calm i can push out to some of the AR's to flounder fish or catch a king. I know i will be equipping the boat with trolling motor and also power pole...... Any suggestions

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would suggest to look into Carolina Skiffs. Very versitile boats that come in various lengths, hull types and available features. I have one, do various types of fishing: love it and never had any problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really don't have one I rather go ahead and get the boat I want and get it fully loaded cause I'll keep it a while

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 22' Kencraft Bayrider and it does everything you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Lots of good boats, Pathfinder, Black Jack, Pioneer, Ranger and Yellowfin are some of the more high end boats that guides use for skinny water capability and nearshore fishing. Probably many more that I have not listed. Google guides that do similar fishing and see what they use.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's a few off the cuff (without budget in mind):

Pathfinder 22 or 24
Action Craft Coastal Bay 2310
Shearwater 23
Contender 25 Bay
Yellowfin 24 Bay
Parker 23 Big Bay
Jones Brothers Light Tackle Edition

·
Registered
768 Posts
With ALL due respect to others. You don't want a CS. The reason I say that is because you will beat your customer's to death on the slightest chop. Which will make for a semi bad experience, and that will not get good word of mouth advertisement.

If you are wanting the best of both worlds, go with a decent size bay boat. There are many brands to choose from......

And I will give you my opinion. 197 pioneer SF, it will get into the back waters, and it will get you offshore. It will also accept and handle well under power of your trolling motor. I've owned one and fished both worlds with it. The biggest thing about this boat is the solid riding hull. No beat or banging what so ever.

·
Registered
591 Posts
As a CS owner I would also say you do not want a CS. I'd go bay boat at least 21ft. There are certainly plenty to choose from.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah cs is a good strictly inshore boat but they will beat you to death I'm not taking anything away from then but there not my style

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Size isn't really what matters either. I'll take a good handling number 10 washtub over a bad handling big boat any day when it comes to the ocean. You can pay top dollar for a boat hull that is broach prone without having to go shop for it.

Even some of the bigger offshore boats like used in King fishing will beat the crap out of you in side roll with their high degree of stern dead rise.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Lots of good advice so far. Here's mine: 1) Under no circumstance do you want to run guide trips in a flat-bottomed boat for the exact reason Brickphil stated. You'll beat your clients silly and say goodbye to repeat business...the lifeblood of a guide. 2) Do some research. Look at the ads of your competition and see what they are using. 3) Get a bay boat at least 22' so you comfortably fish 2-4 people, plus yourself. Power it with a 200 (or what the manufacturer max is for the boat) so you can run to fish quickly and get home in safely. 4) Two power poles, one 100 lb. or more thrust trolling motor, and the best GPS/fishfinder you can get. Again, a bay boat is what most professional guides use from the Carolinas to Texas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts