NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined NC Angler tonight. Looks like a great site! Looking forward to getting to know everyone and hopefully sharing some good fishing stories ;)

Here's a pic of my new boat, RxTaSea. She's a 2006 Robalo R245 w/twin Yamaha 150 4-strokes. Took delivery of her in March. Previously had a Sea Pro 220 CC. I keep her in Morehead City at Portside Marina. Have fished mostly near shore reefs (AR 315) with a few trips to NW Places on the Sea Pro. Hoping to get further out this year with the Robalo. If anyone fishes out of Morehead, give me a shout sometime and maybe we can head offshore together.

Tight lines !!

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Sweet boat. Welcome to the site. Never been fishing in the big lake off the coast but I know there are plenty on here who go out from that area.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hello TDB, welcome to NCAngler. This site is exciting to say the least. Lots of great folks and loads of good fishing knowledge (experience) that is shared with all who just ask. Its like the teacher said, "The only dumb question is no question." How true in almost every phase of life. On this site, ask and you will receive. Great fellowship of fishermen!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hi Tim, welcome to NC Angler. That's a great looking boat you have there.

I fish further south (Topsail & WB areas) but I do occasionaly make it up your way to dive some of the wrecks. Here's some GPS numbers for that area:

Hutton Wreck - N34 29.937 W76 53.863
Indra Wreck - N34 33.724 W76 51.094
Suloide Wreck - N34 32.650 W76 53.640
Schurz Wreck - N34 11.218 W76 36.127
AR 345 - N34 32.300 W76 58.467
Big Ten - N34 23.330 W76 35.650
Little Ten - N34 24.010 W76 35.730

Those last two spots is a patch of hard bottom and reliefs - just criss-cross that area and watch your sonar for some great bottom and the fish.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great messages guys! I can already tell I'm going to be spending a lot of my time here ( when I'm not fishing, of course! ).

Topsail Angler - thanks much for the coordinates. I will definitely be plugging those into my GPS first chance I get. I heard a lot of chatter on my radio last year about Big Ten/Little Ten but never knew where it was. You can bet I'll be heading out that way first chance I get :D .

I did discover a really helpful list of coordinates on nccoastalfishing.com posted by Stan Man. I printed them off but haven't had time yet to load them into my GPS.

As a relative newbie to saltwater fishing, it's so nice to have y'all out there willing to share your knowledge and advice. I grew up fishing on Lake Erie but found out very quickly that saltwater fishing is a whole different ballgame :eek: . I'm having a great time learning, though, and really enjoy the sport. I'll try not to pester y'all with too many questions but no promises :)

Tim

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Fire away with those questions - we are happy to help anyway we can. After all, we have our own questions form time to time.

Hey be careful with those GPS numbers you got off the internet. Stan Man is a great King fisherman and Captain but those numbers are not verfied by his own account and I have found some of them to be way off - it's okay to plug 'em in and try them - just don't plan your entire trip around them - have a back-up.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Welcome on TDB, nice rig!

here's a copy of a reply I posted earlier for someone:

Re: Another Newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Rock and the gulf stream is 'bout 42-46 miles out (for north east big rock and South West Big Rock) via Beaufort inlet/Ft Macon, by way of the knuckle bouy (14 bouy). Along them shoals (Cape Lookout) shoals... I surely wouldnt go out that far in a 19. They call this area of the coast Grave yard of the Atlantic if that tell's ya anything...

To give you an idea it changed from 1-2 ft seas in Beaufort Thursday to Gale force warnings and 40 knot winds with 14 ft seas in the blink of an eye.. Definately a good offshore hull that can take a regular pounding is the way to go and bow flare is a good thing to have on a east coast boat.

Definately need to be stream capable for the fishin your looking to do. Line capacity is the biggest issue I would see for offshore rod/reel combo's.

In and around 13 bouy, knuckle bouy and some near shore wrecks provide for some good bottom fishin and some good trolling for bonito, kings, mahi, grouper, snappers etc... I've even heard some inshore in the Pamlico for tarpon.

Near the mouth of the Lookout bight is a submerged rock jetty that alot of folks catch speckled trout and fly fish and troll for fat alberts (false albacore).

At big rock expect tuna (blue and yellow fin), marlin (blues/whites), sails, wahoo.. basically all your pelagics. Every year there's what some call the world series of Marlin tournys "Big Rock Marlin Tournament"... pretty big deal and some big money on the line.

There is lot's of good fishin in that area and some like to claim it as the best in the state for that area,, but to be honest, I havent found anywhere on the coast where it's not good!

25's, 50's and 80's seem to be the reel size most common for offshore and during blue fin season it's mostly 50w's and 130 class type gear

trolling wise in/near shore medium to heavy spinners and 15 to 30 class gear is pretty common.

Granted the pacific has some tough water,, but the east coast is a different animal.. the Atlantic is no joke.. just be as prepared as can be (vhf DSC capable, more than you think you'll need safety gear, and enough boat under you to match the conditions you want to fish in). I know when the seas get to 8 ft under a 7-9 interval over a 25 knot wind.. then it's time to pack it up and head to the hill if it kicks up... or simply dont go if that's the forcast prior to the trip.

Rule of thumb I've learned for myself is whatever the weather man says for sea state, take the bottom # and double it and that's what you'll be lookin at for "real world" seas.. not counting any rouges.

Welcome on! and welcome to NC!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Your savy enough to know to have at least paper charts, so look for the knuckle bouy (14 bouy) and the 13 bouy. During the summer you can catch mahi at the 13 bouy. Knuckle bouy is your line to shoot around to head to big rock. You've got enough boat under you for a day of stream trolling, just watch the wind on them shoals out there.

Just a tip I like to pass on while bottom fishin, if anchored up and on some good bottom, take a med/heavy spinner with just a hook on it, no weight, put a whole squid on the hook and throw out the back of the boat and just let it drift in the current out from the boat,, set the drag loose and then forget about it and do what you were doin.

If mahi are around, they'll pick it up (usually larger mahi, not them peanuts). Every now an then you get a king or a shark pick it up, but usually it's a mahi, as they key in pretty quick on a anchored boat and will use it for cover or to check it out. Peanuts will come all the way in to the boat... just be ready for them and always try to keep at least one in the water until another one is hooked. Dont over feed them either.. small pieces (really small) to keep them around.

Big 10/little 10 get's some pressure, but if you "look" around out there away from the crowd, you'll find some good bottom.

If you run to the stream, I definately recommend black/purple yozuri bonita lures (at least have one in you box), kings/wahoo will tear them up!! Cedar plugs for sure for tuna/wahoo and of course skirted lures, rig'd ballyhoo's and bird rigs are the tickets for trollin. One trolling bait rig I like is Carolina Lure's Yummee flying fish. I use both the daisy chain and single rig'd ones... they're an awsome bait.

Good luck and post up pix when ya get that vessel all bloodied up! ;)

Big Rock south is at: N34 04.300 W76 12.500
Big Rock north is at: N34 10.620 W76 09.500
90 ft drop is at: N34 12.650 W76 15.270 (usually where folks drop lines to start trolling big rock)
Indra Wreck is at: N34 33.730 W76 51.104
Suloide Wreck is at: N34 32.706 W76 53.700
WE Hutton Wreck is at: N34 29.937 W76 53.863
To start you on some bottom, I dont want to be "specific", but within a .5 mile radius, you might want to search around this # here, put some time in and then you'll find some spots in this area: N34 23.244 W76 35.298

That should give you a start

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave - thanks so much for the words of wisdom. I couldn't agree more with your thoughts around going offshore. I'm going to slowly work my way offshore, a little further & further as I get more experience and when the weather is good. I have a lot of confidence in my boat but I'm also very cautious and the safety of all on board is my #1 priority. No fish is worth taking stupid risks. I'd rather come back to the dock empty handed than not come back at all.

I will definitely try your squid tip. Would love to hook into a bull dolphin or two. I've read about & seen on TV keeping a schoolie in the water to draw others in so will try to remember to do it. I've got a few of the lures/rigs you mentioned but need to pick up some more. Guess that's just an excuse to head to the tackle shop again :eek:

Thanks again for your help. I hope to be bloodying up the decks soon. Promise to post the pics when I do :)

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.