NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going? Marine who recently checked into Cherry Point. From Denver and would really like to learn how to catch some big ole fish! Little experience bass fishing but would really like to learn how to fish the Neuse and Slocum Creek. Any tips would be very much appreciated!

-Dillard

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I am land locked. I have been scouring Craigslist for a small Jon boat to get me around these creeks bit as of right now I have to deal from shore. Are you around the havelock area? Really need some guidance on this brackish water. Been skinned a time or two so far

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually very serious. Trying to find one for the right price and in good condition. Definitely very interested in any opportunity. Haha getting tired of fishing from shore.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Welcome aboard, lots of members in your area. Slocum and the surrounding area are great to catch saltwater species like flounder, red drum and speckled trout, oh yea striped bass.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm trying to find the whole deal for 1000-1500. I really don't want anything too fancy. Just something to get me around near base here. I'm willing to go up I down depending on quality. Trying to get boat, motor and trailer all in one purchase.

Have be you guys fished Slocum creek? I could really use some tips on spots, lures, bait and times to catch some good fish out of here. Like I said I've done a bit of bass fishing but have no experience here on the east coast with brackish/salt. I've tried all different types of bait but have only caught a stingray (which was awesome). I would really like to catch some reds, striper, trout... The whole 9. But, to put it frankly.... I don't really know what the heck I'm doing!

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Well, I'm trying to find the whole deal for 1000-1500. I really don't want anything too fancy. Just something to get me around near base here. I'm willing to go up I down depending on quality. Trying to get boat, motor and trailer all in one purchase.

Have be you guys fished Slocum creek? I could really use some tips on spots, lures, bait and times to catch some good fish out of here. Like I said I've done a bit of bass fishing but have no experience here on the east coast with brackish/salt. I've tried all different types of bait but have only caught a stingray (which was awesome). I would really like to catch some reds, striper, trout... The whole 9. But, to put it frankly.... I don't really know what the heck I'm doing!

I have the boat/trailer/life jackets and it has 2 swivel seats. No gas engine though.

Also, I'm several hours from your location. Keep me posted!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Scott, any tips on catching red drum?! That's my dream fish! Also striped bass sounds awesome! Any tips in lures or bait to fish from shore?

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
$700.....

I had new wheel bearings installed a couple years ago and I'll put two new tires on the trailer if you decided you wanted it. Tires are ok just cracked in places where it hasn't been moved much. This is due wholly to my purchasing a yak.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks pgarick! Hey, so I'm new to brackish fishing guys. After a bit of reading I heard that you can catch red drum with beetle spins and swim baits and stuff. Is there a specific type of lures that are most productive for you guys. Also read that top water spooks are good for stripers. Any truth to that? What do you think?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All good wade! Hey so I have been reading through ALOT of posts and noticed salt water fishing is very similar to bass fishing as far as artificial lures and such. Went out this morning and fishing from a dock before work with a spinner and didn't even get a bite, but it'll come soon enough. I'm freaking stoked to catch some monsters! Can't wait till it comes. Spinners usually productive?

Reactions: wademaster
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.