NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RALEIGH, N.C. (Jan. 8) - Within 24 hours of becoming available, more than 1,700 of the state's new Coastal Recreational Fishing License were purchased by anglers. The next day, another 1,800 such licenses were issued.

It's a good start, officials with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission said this week.

A Coastal Recreational Fishing License is now required to harvest finfish in the state's coastal fishing waters, which include sounds, coastal rivers and their tributaries, and out to three miles into the ocean. Recreational anglers who catch fish from three miles to 200 miles offshore are required to have this license in order to transport fish back to the shore.

"The first day of sales operations went smoothly and it continues to do so," said Lisa Hocutt, manager of customer support for N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission. "There is already an awareness of the new license requirements for coastal recreational fishing, so we expect a steady increase into the warmer months."

The law and the provision for the sale of the Coastal Recreational Fishing License went into effect on Jan. 1.

Coastal Recreational Fishing Licenses can be obtained in four ways:
Phone Call the Wildlife Resources Commission toll free at 1 (888) 248-6834. Hours of operation are: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Online Go to the Wildlife Resources Commission's Web site, www.ncwildlife.org.
In Person Visit a Wildlife Service Agent, often located in bait-and-tackle shops, hunting and sporting good stores and larger merchandisers across the state, or visit one of six Division of Marine Fisheries offices located on the coast. For those locations, visit the agency's Web site, www.ncfisheries.net.
Exemptions Those who receive food stamps, Medicaid or Work First Family Assistance can obtain an annual subsistence waiver through their county Department of Social Services. Anglers under 16 do not need to possess a Coastal Recreational Fishing License. Anyone who purchased a lifetime sportsman or lifetime comprehensive fishing license prior to prior to Jan. 1, 2006 does not need to purchase a Coastal Recreational Fishing License.

For more information on the Coastal Recreational Fishing License, including a comprehensive list of all available licenses, or to download a frequently asked questions document, visit the Wildlife Resources Commission's Web site, www.ncwildlife.org.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I was kinda curious about that too. I'm also watching the mailbox to see if the "permanent" license actually shows up this time. My temporary licenses expire on the 16th.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm starting to see some troubled waters brewing with this new license especially down here on the coast. Bass fishermen who fish brackish water are according to some gamewardens are going to have both licenses and the same goes for the recreational saltwater fishermen.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I'm starting to see some troubled waters brewing with this new license especially down here on the coast. Bass fishermen who fish brackish water are according to some gamewardens are going to have both licenses and the same goes for the recreational saltwater fishermen.

Coastal waters that normally hold both fish that are regulated by the WRC and fish that are regulated by the DMF are called "joint waters". Here is the wording from the NCDMF web site regarding licenses requirements for joint waters

NCDMF WEB SITE said:
Fishing in Joint Waters (areas managed by both the Marine Fisheries and the Wildlife Resources commissions) will require either the CRFL or a WRC inland fishing license. (source web site page)
"Or" seems to be the operative word there. I did an interview with a lady from the NCDMF a while back for my newspaper column and she confirmed that point.

Which waters are regulated by which agency are marked on maps which can viewed by clicking on this link

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

·
Registered
832 Posts
all it sounds like to me is all the fish pigs need to get together and sort this junk out. having to fish with the two different license is rediculous. figures all the money they are making off of this they would at least have the stuff figured out.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
By looking at the web site maps, I think they do have it all figured out, as far as what license is required where anyway.

For saltwater fishing buy the Marine fisheries CRFL, for Freshwater fishing buy the WRC inland fishing license, for water that normally contains both types of fish (joint waters), either of the licenses will do.

While fishing in joint waters you can catch either salt or fresh water fish with only one license. The only time you need both is if you fish in both fresh and saltwater areas. So Bass fisherman fishing in brackish joint water will only need the WRC inland license. Flounder fisherman catching a catfish in brackish joint water will only need the CRFL.

I know this can sound confusing but hopefully if you look at the maps (click on one from the map directory in the link above) it will be clear as mud.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.