NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just registered. The family and I have been going to Hatteras for the last 8 years and wife wants to go someplace new. So we are thinking about going to Topsail Island either in July or August. I'm assuming fishing is about same as Hatteras at that time. I will be bringing my 18 ft for inshore and have gone out maybe 10 to 15 miles the Hatteras Inlet. So I'm looking for info on areas to stay near boat ramps on Topsail and maybe popular fishing areas, links to maps, recommended bait dealers. Will also be bringing my surf gear for those days when it may be too rough to get out or the kids want to play in the sand. So looking for any fishing help to point me in some sort of direction since I am clueless on Topsail and would only be fishing like I was in Hatteras. Maybe when we figure out a date for trip if someone wants to hook up and join me on the boat for a few pointers and laughs and a beer afterwards we can get together. Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Net-work - welcome to NC Angler.

Topsail is a great family vacation island - I'm sure you will enjoy it. Not sure what kind of place you are looking to rent but there are a number on the sound side that have their own piers to keep your boat. Outside of that - there is a free public ramp in Surf City at the Sound View Park just as you come over the swing bridge. Further south in the twon of Topsail Beach there is Bush Marina Baot ramp -marina is gone and ramp is run by the town - they charge to use it - I think $10. There is a free WRC Ramp under the high rise bridge in the town of North Topsail Beach.

July and August are a little lean for pier and surf casting as the water temps are so warm - I think the north end of Hatteras is cooler that time of year. Still plenty of fish to be caught though in both cases. And the boat fishing inshore and offshore is good then.

East Coast Sports is on the right after you cross the swing bridge onto the island in Surf City. It is a well stocked tackle and boat shop with plenty of bait and everything else you may need. Herring Outdoor Sports is just north of there and also has some tackle and maybe bait and kayak rentals.

There are three piers on the island - one in each of the three towns. Surf City Pier is online. Here's a link to a general information site for Topsail Island

I'll be happy to give you some ideas of where to fish - just let me know which part of the island you decide to stay (the island is 21 miles long so lots of fishing behind it as well as surf & offshore spots). The inlets at both ends are shallow draft inlets that you can use with your boat but can be a little tricky so check with us locals when you get down here - we'll give you the latest info on them. Currently they are dredging New River Inlet (north end of the Island) so it should be in good shape this summer.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Tight lines
Mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Mike. So far I think we are initially looking at South end. From what we have read it sounds more laid back. We have always stayed in Hatteras to keep the boat close to the inlet. I've always just hammered flounder and reds there. Looking at what few maps of the area that I have found, it looks like I could probably find an inlet or channel for flatties and reds just about anywhere. I will see if I can't get some satellite photos to help locate these. Wouldn't mind a black tip or two for the grill as well. Usually had slow surf at Hatteras during the same time too. But that's the time of year that we have to go. Every now and then I get a nice surprize from the beach though. As far as what kind of place to stay, we are thinking about renting a condo on the beach instead of a house mostly cause its a heck of a lot cheaper. Figure I will have to bring a cleaning board though if we go that route. Wife wants on the beach, I just want to be somewhere close to a ramp. I'm kinda blessed, she's happy sleeping in and heading down to the beach or pool with my daughter and waits until my son and I return from our/my morning fishing and then we spend a little more time on the beach, go to dinner, they go to bed and I head down to the beach for a little night cap with my Tica. Well not every night gotta keep momma happy. But she does understand my fishing addiction. My dad always said "that boy would rather fish than breathe". I will keep in touch as I think of other questions in the near future.

Check out my muskie clubs website for shots of fresh water cuda.
http://web.tusco.net/ohiohuskiemuskieclub/

Thanks again for your advice.
Fred

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Here's a link to the US Army Corp of Enginners aerial photos of the NC Inlets. They are in order north to south - of course the ones closest to Topsail island are New River and New Topsail. Rich Inlet is close to the south end too.

In fact that island just south of Topsail is called Lea Island and it is uninhabited except for the occasional camper and fisherman. It's a great place to surf fish and take the family to a nice, quiet beach. Of course you need a boat to get to it.

The other end is called Hutaft Island (there use to be an inlet between these two but not anymore) and is the north side of Rich Inlet. Great fishing behind Rich inlet - nice sand flats and marsh ditches - good flounder country ;).

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Sniper - I think the ramp you are asking about is the old Lewis Brother's ramp. They sold the property to David Greer a local developer. I heard he might be planning to make it part of his Pecan Grove Plantation development. In other words - he has taken it private. :(

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome aboard Network. You can also use google maps to get some bearings, I really find the hybrid function useful for putting names on the streets etc in the photos. You can also spot some places to avoid or check out as the situation dictates. Be especially careful of sandbars near where two channels meet. The deposits are usually worse in the larger channel unless for whatever reason the Tides are moving faster in the larger channel.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sniper - I think the ramp you are asking about is the old Lewis Brother's ramp. They sold the property to David Greer a local developer. I heard he might be planning to make it part of his Pecan Grove Plantation development. In other words - he has taken it private. :(
TA, the one I'm talking about was on the very south end of the island. There was the Latitude 34 restaurant, the boat ramp, and a dock where the Vonda Kay use to launch from. Are we talking about the same one?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I think so. The Vonda Kay is tied up at the dock behind the TB Assembly building, the restaurant is/was just east of there (corner of the main road and parking lot for the assembly building).

Not far from there is the ole Bush marina and ramp. That ramp is owned by city of TB now and is open to the public for a fee.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nope, not the same one then. The Vonda Kay used to launch at the very south end of the island before they tore down the piers and restaurant. Just wondering what happened to the public boat ramp that was there? This would be the quickest ramp to the inlet.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Ah - now I'm following you (I think)-- you are talking about back in the 90's - the latest location of Latitude's and the Vonda Kay are still close together and next to a boat ramp but up near the town assembly building.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of yu help guys. I have a t least for now reserved a place in Serenity Point. Still gotta get momma's approval on the place but figured I had better reserve now than not get a place at all. Yup been using Google to get aquainted to the area but who knows how old that photo is so have been comparing with the Corps of Eng's. If I understand correctly from what you guys are talking about (and using Google) the ramp near Latitude 34 that shows up on Google called Topsail Sound Pier Market & Marina is no longer usuable? Is that correct? If so what will be the closest ramp to Serenity Point. Yea pretty familiar with sandbars. Luckily I don't go too fast till I can lay down some trials on the GPS. Tentatively scheduled for the week of Aug 4th. Can't wait, momma bought me a new TICA for Christmas that needs blessed!

May God get me thru till August now!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
if you have a mapping gps, that's another way to look it up.
I know on my Garmin V handheld with the Blue Chart it show alot of detail and even can pull up marina and hotel info and phone #'s on it.. just a thought.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wellcraft Dave,
Yea I have a Lowrance on the boat with mapping and got it on the PC too. Except my stupid PC isn't being too cooperative right now with my mapcreate software. Hopefully I can get it up and running and download. But I think I can at least remember the name "Bush Ramp".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.