NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from vacation in Fl, and seen the oddest fishing rig yet. Those fellows down there were using a plastic bubble half filled with water and 18 inches of line leading from that with a 2 inch piece of a McDonalds straw attched just above a treble hook. The greatest thing about it was they were catching the **** out of the spanish and much more with it. Of course I played "monkey see, monkey. . ." and was sucessful and bringing a couple in. Is this something new or have I been fishing the freshwater too long?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
new fishing rig

That is a cool looking idea. Old gut has a problem with micky d's chow, but guess i'll have to take the grand younguns out there and get me some straws. Reminds me of when I lived out on the west coast and we made some awsome flat fish imitations out of free church keys. simple and cheap and worked just as good as the pricey flatfish. Thanks for the idea, will have to try some as soon as the weather permits. Al

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
This rig has been around for a long time now but the big suprise is how effective it is. Leaders as short as 18" will catch fish on this rig, however, leaders in 30" range are more productive. A rod in the 7'-8' range will work best with this rig. The rod needs to be a little more powerful than your typical plug rod . I've tried the same rig with surgical tubing in pink and green but McDonald's straws seem to be the best. I'll try some pics.in a few min. AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Pics Of Straw Rig Makings

Here We Go Again: More Fuzzy Pics
I normally make up my rigs on the spot and disassmble them after I'm done with them.30lb mono works fine as well as flouro carbon, # 5 crane swivel on either side of float so it does not slip,24"-30" of mono or flouro slide on a straw and tie on a hook. I use 2/0 2x long eagle claw aberdeens I believe. On the right are a couple of rattling floats and a couple of popping floats and on the left a couple of packs of smaller slip floats sized for speck rigs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Al--- You are getting better or the camera is improving-- those pics look good to me.

Later, Forrest

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.