NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Should be an excellent tool. Several folks have taken a liking to that length in a 5 wt. However, I would not want to discourage someone from spending more money.... But, perhaps the most important thing to remember is that "it ain't the arrow...it's the Indian."

Enjoy and don't terrorize too many trout!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
As long as it will fling a fly how and where you want it materials do not matter.

The next step for the cash strapped equipment rich fisherman that we all are is to try as many rods as you can. You will find the flex you like best that way. I bought some nice rods off of ebay. I like St Croix rods.

Also, if you want some nice reels... ebay. I have purchased more than a hand full of Ross reels at killer prices. Not the new ones. Stuff from the 90s like the Rythem and Evolution. Outstanding drag. Solid billet. A #1 or 2 should do you nicely.

Just add them to your watch list for a while and check the prices. You will find the current medium and get an idea of a limit. I picked up a Rythem once real cheap because they spelled Rythem wrong. Pays to dig.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Boats, yaks, rods and reels, the best one in the world is the one that you have at the time. cool mountain air, clear water and few willing trout and you won't care if that rod cost 300 dollars or 30.
Bring it up this way sometime, and we'll have a go at them, I might even take my flyrod and leave the spinning gear at home.

Darrell

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Fishing for stream trout is rare for me, but I love fishing for bream with a 7 1/2 ft 4 wt fly rod. I am sure you'll like this rod until you can do better, and you may get used to it and like it almost as well as a more expensive fly rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.