NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup - the tackle monkey is about to let loose again. Berkley is soon to release a new version of it's Gulp! bait called Gulp Alive! It will be on the shelves in mid-June. The Berkley rep is going around to tackle shops this week showing off the new line.

I got a small sample to try. It really does feel like a naural bait in your hand - soft and slimey. Suppose to have 20% more scent attraction too. It will be sold in tubs/buckets filled with gulp juice that hold the equivelent of 3 packs of regular gulp.

The nice thing is you can reuse this version - just throw it back in the bucket. Bad thing is it will retail for $19.99 a bucket.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Hmmm extra slimey buckets of left over Gulp juice... I see some experimentation coming...;)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I guess I'm behind times. I feel a beating from the wife coming on.:eek:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Oh sweet tackle monkey... A pyramid of little $20 Gulp buckets. Do I dare even hope for a "sampler" bucket with a couple of different shaped baits? I'd better not - its too much to take in as it is...

Anybody else feel a searing heat in the back pocket right about now?

(somebody at Berkley knows what they're doing)
They're taking a page from Procter & Gamble's approach--New and improved Tide every year.:confused:

New and improved Gulp every year--Each improvement brings a new and improved price increase from them.:rolleyes:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
GOOD maybe that means the old stuff wil be put on clearance!! Ebay here I come!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
GULP TIP...........
Fished on Tues of this week & was able to find small Tiger Minnows. Hooked one Minnow on a 3/8 oz jig head & used a small section of a Gulp New Penny Shrimp as a bait holder - one that a Pinfish had eaten the tail off of. Caught 3 Reds - well I caught 1 & by buddy Jerry landed 2............ICM

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
They're taking a page from Procter & Gamble's approach--New and improved Tide every year.:confused:

New and improved Gulp every year--Each improvement brings a new and improved price increase from them.:rolleyes:
Sometimes I wonder if all that has improved and is new is the packaging !!

·
Registered
493 Posts
What made the "Old baits" good years ago doesn't mean they've all of a sudden stopped catching fish. Jitter Bugs, Nip-A-Diddies, Devil horses, Rapala, Rooster tails, Bucktails, and rubber worms still work very well. Cyrstal Minnows, spoons & jigs, and Mirro-lures still work in the ocean. I'm with Sundrop, is it really improvement or new packaging. That is their job to invent new toys and market them for profit. That's why I started tying flies. That's why lots of folks make their own baits. They still work! At least for me they do...

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sometimes I wonder if all that has improved and is new is the packaging !!
You are right about the sometimes. But that's not the case this time. I've held it, smelt it and will fish it this afternoon. We'll see about the fish catching part but it is improved in that it feels like natural bait (in theory the fish will hold on longer) and it definitely has more action and the new juice has a preservative in it that allows you to put used baits back in the juiice with unused ones (big improvement as it will reduce wasted baits).

But to your point, most tackle is designed to catch us fisherman, not fish :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
There you go! That is the nail hitting the hammer on the head. Good luck today, hope it works real well. I never did get to sneak off yesterday. Maybe today. Hey, if you can take a pic, send one of that new gulp. If not, I guess I'll just have to get down there to see and use it myself. Peace out Brother.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
...will fish it this afternoon. We'll see about the fish catching part...
Must be nice having an ocean in your back yard...

"Learn to be content in all things, learn to be content in all things..." I guess my neighborhood's pond ain't so bad, even though it's full of sticks (and leashes, and tennis balls...) Enjoy your ocean...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I had the opportunity to talk to some folks about the New Gulp packaging. I thought you might want to know what to look for so here are some pics.

Oh BTW, there is a warning on the back that the attractant (juice) used in Gulp will break down ordinary plastic baits.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Oh BTW, there is a warning on the back that the attractant (juice) used in Gulp will break down ordinary plastic baits.
Ha ha -- so it's no fair trying to gulp-ify your electric chickens... Their nuclear chickens must be much tougher yardbirds.

Wonder if it'll work for gummy worms...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.