NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO ALL,
Sure do like when I get to spend time in NC, nice people.
Some help, I'm staying on the Outer Banks , end of Sept- beginning of Oct. Can anyone direct me to some good Bass lakes, or even some streams for Trout. I'd like to keep the trip within a couple hrs. drive. E-Mail me [email protected]

Regards, Dave
Pearl River Rods

·
Registered
205 Posts
sorry, if you are staying on the outer banks, you are looking at at least a 7 hour trip for any freshwater trout fishing in nc.it takes me about 8 1/2 - 9 hours to reach hatteras. but welcome to the site anyway:cool:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You will be at Hatteras at a time when folks wouild think you are a nut to leave to go anywhere else to fish. But if you just gotta give the largemouth a shot Lake Mattamuskeet could be your best shot. You would have to take the ferry from Ocracoke to Swan Quarter make a right on 94 then bear right on 264 /94 and a left on 94 when it turns north off 264/94. You should do some further checking on this though because the lake is a shallow lake very subject to weather influences and the whole lake is a national wildlife refuge and subject to their regulations. I can't help you too much further on that one except to say if you are on the north side of Oregon Inlet it is much quicker to go across the Bridge to Manteo and go south on 264. AL

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Welcome. Your going to be there when the fall fish run is going on. Heck, us up here in the hills drive down there to fish at that time of year. Don't overlook the pier and surf fishing.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
PRRODS - welcome to NC Angler!

You might want to try catching some sea trout in the saltwater instead. You will be there during prime fishing time. They look like freshwater trout but are a totally unrelated species but are a blast to catch on light tackle. We have two varieties here, speckled sea trout (aka weakfish or specks) and gray sea trout.

There will be a lot of other species you can catch at the same time like flounder, drum, croakers, VA Mullet, blues.

The only freshwater trout waters in NC are in the mountian region - 6-8 hours from the coast. If you want to bass fish, sinker man gave you some great advice. But I think if you give saltwater fishing at the Outbanks in the fall a shot, you will be hooked!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Howdy
I'll be at Hatteras with a buncha friends from Church the weekend of Oct 7 -- we can show you how to throw a surf rod if you want.
Lefty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, of PRRODS here,... I' ll be in the surf plenty, staying in Kill Devil Hills on the beach front, and out off shore too, last year I came home with a 52# YFT.
Thanks for all your replies.
Remember I build rods, so I pack up at least 2 for each type of fishing there is .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.