NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

6 months new to Jacksonville, NC. Moved from NJ to be close to my two sons. I have been checking out the game lands in the state and still looking for kayak and boat launches in the area. Up north I have been primarily a fisherman of the salt, but also love the trout fishing. Anxious to tie into the reds that I read so much about. However, being so close to freshwater streams and ponds I will be hitting them up more often. Thanks for having me here and I'm sure Ill learn much by reading the threads.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome Jaeger! I too live near Jacksonville. I hope you enjoy the new area as much as we do moving from the DC/Baltimore metro area. So much quieter down here. :)
Plenty of boat launches around here.

New River Access

Fresh water north of Route 17 bridge and brackish below, getting more salty as you get closer to the inlet.
There is a boat launch near the Route 17 bridge in downtown near the USO and Jacksonville Police Station.
If you have access to base, there are two on Camp Lejeune (Gottschalk Marina and Courthouse Bay Marina [currently closed]). There is also a boat ramp on New River Air Station (currently closed for repairs).
Northeast Creek Park has a boat ramp as well.

Intercoastal Waterway (ICW)
Shell Rock Landing is a good one that puts you right out on the Intercoastal Waterway (ICW).

White Oak River
I enjoy going out here as it's really peaceful (just be wary of hunters during hunting season). I have a buddy who refuses to fish on this river during hunting season.
Haywood Landing in the Croatan Forest.
There is a boat launch in Stella ($5 I believe to launch).

There are more launches and others can tell you, those are just the ones I know of or have used in the past in the area.

If you haven't already, you will probably see gators on the waterways. Cool to view... from a distance.

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy the fishing. It's fishable year round!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts