NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, just moved down to Charlotte from Spokane, Washington. Graduated from college with an Automotive Mechanics degree. Been fishing for most of my life now, mostly offshore still fishing for trout and sunfish up in the inland northwest. Would be interested in finding out how the trout population is doing up here. I've been hearing some stories about polluted lakes? :mad::eek: stinks. in Spokane theres a certain Spokane River, one of the top 10 polluted rivers in the states. What would be the closest lake/ pond/ river to charlotte that has a good quiet place to sit and fish? Any info would be greatly appreciated, Im hoping to get into this forum deal, seems quite fun if everybody interacts I guess.

Paul (509) 263-6365

·
Registered
13 Posts
Around Charlotte you have Lake Norman and Lake Wylie but you sorta need a boat and they are mostly good for bass. If you feel like a drive head up to the Watauga River in Boone, right by the App State campus. That is a very nice river and stocked real well. I like to fish at Valle Crusis off the Watauga, its not real busy like the lower part of the river and has some big trout hangin in there. If you need to know anything else shoot me a PM.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hey Trouthunter. Welcome to the site! You're absolutely correct. The site can be fun and beneficial if everyone interacts by asking questions and sharing answers. We have over 400 members now in our first 6 months of operation and many of them have never posted a single post. Thank you Trouthunter for participating! Come on folks jump in! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fishing2fun said:
Around Charlotte you have Lake Norman and Lake Wylie but you sorta need a boat and they are mostly good for bass. If you feel like a drive head up to the Watauga River in Boone, right by the App State campus. That is a very nice river and stocked real well. I like to fish at Valle Crusis off the Watauga, its not real busy like the lower part of the river and has some big trout hangin in there. If you need to know anything else shoot me a PM.

Thanks, I have a question also, is it true that in NC it is illegal to use lures with treble hooks mounted on 'em?

·
Registered
205 Posts
trouthunter, to answer you can use treble hooks in nc but on some of our wild trout and delayed harvest streams, you can"t you can usually find a diamond shaped sign that will tell you the regs for the stream you are on, they will be nailed to trees usually near roads or pulloffs. if you want to trout fish in nc the closest place for you would be the dan river or the streams around boone. don't expect huge fish , the food base won't support large trout like it does out west.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Redfishtom is right. Get to know the diamond signs by going to the NC Wildlife Resource Commission website. They indicate the different trout water designations. Some streams may be designated "wild trout catch and release flys only" and downstream another section will be designated "delayed harvest". You must learn and follow the designation system. Check out their Trout Maps for sale on the site. It will be the best tool for finding trout water in NC. I suggest also Elk River in Banner Elk NC, South Toe River in Yancey County NC, Wilson Creek in Caldwell County NC, Cherkee Reservation, and Stone Mountain area off Blue Ridge Parkway near Sparta NC. Get the trout maps! While it is true that most NC trout are small comparatively speaking, I've seen some 24"plus monsters come out of the lower Watauga River and some real brutes in Elk and South Toe also. Felt soled shoes are a must lest you crack some bones on the rocks. I have found the Hodgeman brand most affordable. I also find fishing for trout with flyrods more satisfying than conventional tackle. Welcome and Good luck.

Andy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wecome trouthunter: NC has 4200 miles of trout water. Everything from blue lining for wild trout to stockers in places like the Tuckasegee. One of the closes places for trout from Charlotte would be South Mountain State park if you are close to I-85 and Stone Mountain if you are near I-77.
If you have any questions about a specific stream or area in western NC feel free to ask on this forum or E-Mail me at [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.