NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Been reading posts on this site for a while now and today and deciding to post some of my own. I'm a 17 year old in Clemmons with a canoe and a limited budget. I do have more now though with a summer job. I'm relatively new to fishing and mostly do bass fishing with my friends, but getting a little tired of it and looking for new locations and species to chase. Can anyone help me out? Went and fishing under the 158 bridge on the Yadkin near tanglewood the other night for catfish, but we didn't really know what we were doing. Used chicken livers, lots of bites and lost bait. Also, I've been using a Quantum Optix 40 on an ugly stik since I started fishing, and I think it's bitten the dust. I used it in salt water for a lot of last year and the gears are pretty worn down. Any ideas for new freshwater reels, under $60? looking at the quantum triax or maybe a cheap pfleuger as holdover reels until I save up for a big one... looking forward to the reopening of Salem Lake, whenever that may be, to go after some wipers. so yeah, any suggestions on locations, reels, etc would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
822 Posts
get some chicken liver dough bait or chicken blood dough bait on a 2 hook bottom rig or just on a weighted hook. i just got into catfishing and have fished 3 nights. but only caught 3 catfish on the first night. all same pond. it does not come off easily. chicken livers come off wayyy to easy. if you look up chicken livers or chicken livers staying on hook on the search bar up top there are tons of links full of info about how to keep chicken livers on but i would just say use the stink dough bait. smells terrible. it smells a lot more and worse than chicken livers. cost like 4 bucks for like 50 baits the size of your half your thumb but trust me they work. also keep your line pretty tight or really tight so you know when they take it and so the circle hooks can set quickly and properly. let them take the bait and let the circle hook do the rest. do NOT set the hook. also otherwise if your lines slack they can swim around for a long time trying to get the hook out before you even know you have a bite. size like 5 circle hooks are good.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot! meant to say "budget" in my title btw.... whoops. Using the circle hooks sounds like a really good idea. They've set me up with live bait hooks and said to use panfish at my local baitshop, but seeing as we seemed to have trouble setting the hooks with the livers, the circles would help. I'll be sure to try this!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Are you looking for spinning gear or bait casting? I have some older models of both that have a lot of life left in them for cat fishing, bass, or whatever, and it makes no sense to have them sitting in a drawer as I upgrade my stuff. Let me know how to contact you and I'll send them to you. I understand "on a budget", and have been there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might head out tomorrow night to try some catfishing using the new tips. If I do I'll be sure to report back. drjon- probably looking for spinning gear. never used bait casting gear.... but might want to try. Really appreciate it you guys!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I fish for everything with what most would consider "light tackle". I still use my old Shimano FX reel that I've had for years, it was bought from Wally World for $25. I still fish on a budget too but I've managed to picked up a few Shimano Sienna and Syncopate reels and I know they'll last me years. Some of my favorite budget rods aren't even sold in stores anymore....

For now, a budget rod that I really like is the Ugly Stik Lite Graphite and Lite Inshore rods. As a personal preference, I think they are good all-around rods for fresh or salt water.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Know you said freshwater but think might be back in the salt? If so, check out the Cabela's Salt striker reels. Can use in both salt and fresh water - at least I do. Good quality and decent price. I am a BIG Quantum fan but for the $$$ the SS are hard to beat - IMHO - in their price range. Also, the Bass Pro rods, IMHO, are hard to beat as well for the $$$.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys,

Went out to try some more fishing on the yadkin a few nights back but had no luck. I made some mistakes though that I know I can correct next time out. First off, I used very small egg sinkers that rolled a lot in the current. That couples with my lack of swivels or split shots to keep the weight away from the hook made for a lot of snags. I knew a means of keeping the weight from sliding down to the hook was something I needed, but I stupidly forgot before I headed out. But now that I know I'm eager to give it another go, hopefully some time this weekend! I appreciate the good advice and especially the extremely kind offer by drjon! Members like you make this site such a great one! I bought the chicken blood balls and put them on circle hooks, a combo that, without a doubt, kept the bait much better than the chicken livers. It definitely seems like a winner.

ejtaylor822- I am going to be doing some fishing at the beach soon, and was looking at reels that could handle both. Those Salt striker reels seem like a great option at a reasonable price, and they like a good investment once I get paid. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks again everyone and more to come soon!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I love my Shimanos. Sahara, Sedona models should be in your range and I also have had good service from Okuma Avengers and Coronados for that price. Ugly stix are fine for low budget fishing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.