NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm new here. I actually joined about a year ago but don't think I've been back sense I registered :( . Anyway, let me introduce myself. My name is Gray, I'm 14 years old, and I go to Mr. Durham's church. It's been a while sense I've been fishing but hopefully that will be remedied soon :) .

Sometime in the near future :rolleyes: I plan on building this boat. She's not to big but it'll get me out on the water and be fun to make without costing me an arm and a leg :D

http://www.angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks/html/fishdes_a.htm

Anybody know where I can get a CHEAP 10 hp outboard around the Raleigh area? I'm willing to do some repair work.

Gray

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Welcome back Gray! Wow -that's sounds like a great plan you have there. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun to build and even more fun to use it. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress. I don't know of any 10hp outboards that are available right now but I'll keep my eyes open fer ya.

Mike

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Welcome back,,

Only place I could think of off the top of my head on a used small outboard other than Ebay or somethin on line in the classifieds would be AK Mc Callum's in Fayetteville, or try Grubb's Marine in Winston-Salem (ask for Todd).... I know they arent local... but usually have an old outboard or two layin around that could be bought.

Could try Dick Cabble at Merritt Marine in Hillsborough. I dont think they have used, but they have good price deals on smaller horsepower motors and who knows.. they might have a broke one layin around there.. call and ask.. wouldnt hurt.

Local Raleigh area off 64 near Jordan Lake area would Cope's Marine, call and talk to George.
You might have to call their Wilson dealership for their new locations phone #

Or beat the street at garage sales, local paper, boattrader, etc...

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Hey Grey. Welcome back! I am very impressed with the project you're taking on. Building that boat will be something you'll remember the rest of your life. Very cool! We'll keep a lookout for a motor for you.

Randy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the welcoms and suggestions! I'll check those places out Dave. I've looked at ebay and there are several that are going in my price range but when you add the shipping it just about doubles the cost of the motor :mad: .

Hopefully this will not be the last boat I build. I would like to make one that is larger and off shore capable but I don't have that kind of money right now :( .

Gray

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Well Gray, If you work hard enough and want it bad enough... dont give up and it will happen. Persistance does pay off... things take time so keep morale up and dont get fustrated.

Take your time and search, do it right the first time so you dont waste money by settling for the first thing to come your way. Take your time and do it right.. I for one know how the 'itch' feels... but you're a young man and trust me,, you have plenty time to build/piece together yourself a boat.

I think it's great that young men like yourself get interested in a hobby such as fishing or boating.. there's alot of other things alot worse our kids could be caught up in. Some of my fondest memories were sneakin off to the ICW with a friend on our bikes, one fishin pole and a pocket full of hooks and sinkers.... then gettin our butt's whoop'd when momma found out where we went by ourselves.... but I'd take that whoopin to go fishin.

I'll keep an eye out for ya on a outboard, if I find one that will interest you I'll send you a PM, but still check with Dick, Todd, and George... let them know you're building your first boat and who knows... maybe they possibly could make something happen for you (they're all boaters themselves). ;)

Best of luck with your project!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the encouragement Dave.

"Take your time and search, do it right the first time so you dont waste money by settling for the first thing to come your way. Take your time and do it right.. I for one know how the 'itch' feels... but you're a young man and trust me,, you have plenty time to build/piece together yourself a boat."

I actually think that doing a small skiff first is a good idea....that way I make all my "oops" on something that won't cost to much.

You wouldn't happen to have phone #'s for Dick, Todd, and George would you?

Gray

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Not a problem

Todd Johnson - Grubbs Marine - 336 768 6684
George Copeland - Cope's Marine - 252 243 4151
Dick Cabble - Merritt Marine - 919 732 7377

AK McCallum's in Fayetteville - 910 483 6804
Chatlee in Sanford - 919 775 7259

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Gray, I might have a project for you young man.

I have a boat that was given to me by my uncle in Winston Salem, it's still at his house out back in the woods. I just havent had time to fool with it now for the last 7 or so years... so.. let me check on it and see if any trees havent fallen on it or anything.

I do know it has a tandem axle galvanized trailer, will no doubt need work (new winch post, new tires, lights), the boat is about 20 ft or so, has no motor or controls, transom has this nasty looking beginer fiberglass repair job.... (I'll post pix for you later), it's an old dual console with a huge back deck and pretty much stripped out.

But anyway, it'd be free to you and would be my donation to you as a "project". If you would be interested, let me know. Remember, it's all in bad shape, but I'm sure with ALOT of hard work over time could be made back into a classic, and you'd probably have to get your dad or someone to attempt to tow her home.

But before you decide on that... let me go check on it (may be a while...) and let me snap off some pictures to show you what I'm talking about, then we'll talk about whether you'd like a project like that or not.

I'm thinkin a decent 150 older outboard motor, some new cabling fuel lines, and bare minimum rework of electronics and alot of fiberglass repair and awlgrip paint... it could definately be a lake/river boat if anything.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Grey, Welcome and good luck! I remember helping my dad build a small boat outta marine plywood. He used it for ponds and small lakes. It would fit inthe back of a truck and one amn could carry it fairly easy. I'll have to ask him what happened to it next time I see him.

I know you'll have a blast building the boat and remember it forever. Thatnks for sharing the website. I may have to use one of those designs for a scout project.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it looks like my plans have changed. The guy who designed and built the Fisher 10 hasn't gotten back to me with the plans. So, I went to ebay and bid a small sailboat, the aution closed about 30 minutes ago and I won! :) I'm not sure how much fishing I'll be doing from it, but it'll be fun anyway.

Gray

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.