NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
A northern fly fishing guy, going to be in Top Sail last week of the month. Going to bring fly rods and surf equipment. Beach or bay? I do a little salt water fishing off Montauk and Cape Cod. Redfish in the bay looks like my style? Would you recomend using a guide or just getting on the water? Can you wade the bay and use spinning and fly rods?

Saw a couple of threads on Salmon River, NY. I just got back....2 days of lots of big King Salmon. Steelhead starting up lower river. Great river system. Brown and Steelhead fishing will just get better as the weather gets colder.

Any advice.....greatly appreciated. Anyone need info on NY water let me know.
Thanks

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Red Hooker - welcome to NC Angler.

I assume when you say bay you are talking about what we call the sound (the water in front of the land From Cape Lookout to Cape Fear is called Onslow Bay). The sound is the protected waters between the barrier islands like Topsail and the mainland.

If you have never been down here before I'd highly recommend a hiring a guide. That is the quickest way to learn the local waters and methods.

Right now there is some great surf fishing as well as fishing for speckled trout, drum and flounder back in the sound and creeks. You can do some wade fishing but most of the land used to access the marshy areas where you would fish are private but there are a few places (the island is over 20 miles long).

If you need the contact info of some local guides, send me a PM - also let me know what part of the Island you are staying on (North Topsail Beach, Surf City or Topsail Beach) .

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party! Love them REDS!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone...packing my bags. Will be down on Sunday if things go well. Packing surf,spinning and fly rod. Who knows. Will let you know how I make out.

It is funny our local NY chapter of TU is having our Stewardship dinner Friday night. Our special guest is a 1st Sgt from the 82nd, he was in Iraq and we sent him fly tying equipment, rods, etc....He spent a lot of free time teaching and tying flies to his soldiers. He is home now and from NC. He is on his way up North......I am taking him trout fishing tomorrow. Then leaving for vacation early Saturday...he is staying up north and fishing a few days. I will be in NC on the beach fishing.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome! You will have a blast on Topsail, especially this time of year. Listen to Topsail Angler......he knows his stuff!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Thanks everyone...packing my bags. Will be down on Sunday if things go well. Packing surf,spinning and fly rod. Who knows. Will let you know how I make out.

It is funny our local NY chapter of TU is having our Stewardship dinner Friday night. Our special guest is a 1st Sgt from the 82nd, he was in Iraq and we sent him fly tying equipment, rods, etc....He spent a lot of free time teaching and tying flies to his soldiers. He is home now and from NC. He is on his way up North......I am taking him trout fishing tomorrow. Then leaving for vacation early Saturday...he is staying up north and fishing a few days. I will be in NC on the beach fishing.
SMALL WORLD ISNT IT!!!!!:D

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I saw that Dave. He has more posts then the moderators for the month. :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
My backs been killing me and the weathers turned to mush so all I can do is housework and posts and I hate housework.:eek:..LOL!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.