NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!! Bass and Trout fisherman from NE Ohio. Planning my first trip to OBX since 16 years ago. Coming down 3rd week of January with no clue where or how to fish for stripers. HELP!!!! Thanks!!! Mike

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey Mike, welcome...

As best I can tell, this time of year OBX stripers are largely the domain of the professional guides from Manteo and Oregon Inlet. I assume you've seen Capt. Ray's blog post on the home page? Haven't ever tried it myself, but one day...

Might be able to get some more info if we knew more about your plans. Were you thinking of chartering a trip, bringing your own boat or surf fishing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK! Here's the situation. My girlfriend and I are coming on Sat. 1-19. Problem is, we're both single with teen-agers. (that means broke!!!) So, we weren't able to book a guide, or anything else ahead of time. We get paid on the 18th. I worked a bunch of overtime for this. If I can't get a short notice charter, or can't afford it, all my fishing will be from shore, or surf. So, I'm not sure what area would be best to stay. Hatteras? Nags Head? Any species will do. I fish for everything. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Mike,
Here's another possibility for a budget trip - weekday blue fin tuna trips out of Morehead City for $100/person (not exactly the OB, but might be affordable enough to support the detour)... http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f3/bluefin-make-up-trips-100-00-a-5882.html

A couple of regulars out here have been on board these trips and could give you some insight if you were interested.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Randy (NCAngler) and I went on one of those trips in Dec. It is the best deal you will ever find for a Blue Fin Tuna trip. You pay only $100 and if the boat catches a Blue Fin 73" or over, you pay NOTHING. Shane (Freebird) runs a first class charter and has a great boat and a great crew!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.