NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I just moved here from Washington D.C. a few months ago (Im goin to school at Carolina). Ive been fishing my whole life and do a lot on the Roanoke around Williamston with my grandpa. Catfish and bass are my favorites, and wondering if you guys have any tips for anywhere in the area, especially Jordan Lake. Being in college, I dont have access to a boat. Thanks in advance for any advice you could throw my way.

Zach

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Zach, welcome to NC Angler. I live on the coast but I use to fish Jordan many, many moons ago (mid - 80's) so I'm afraid I'll be of no help there. I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. But hey, I did go to Carolina, graduated in '82 (a few year late due to a stint with Uncle Sam's Navy).

Good luck and tight lines to ya.

Mike

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
love to help ya but i am 1.5 hours from jordan. ncyankee i know for a fact fishes jordan from the bank heard he landed a 4 pound bass couple weeks ago.

i have sent and old friend this web site address he fishes all of the capital area lakes.him being a wake man i anit none to sure about you too getting along..
don't give me that look i went syracuse -big ten-...

zooker

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I spent an hour or so feeding the rocks at the Bell's Church PFA just north of 64 this Saturday, see my report in the "Piedmont Fishing Reports" forum. If it weren't for the Carolina bit, I'd invite ya along the next time I'm headed that way.

Go Pack
Lefty

·
Registered
116 Posts
Zach,
I graduated from UNC in 1986. While I was there, I began to really miss the fishing at home so I started poking around for places to fish. I managed to get some local pond owners to let me fish by simply asking permission. They'll either say yes or no. I found ponds with plenty of fish for the hungry college man off of NC 86 between Chapel Hill and Danville VA., off of 15-501 between CH and Pittsboro (one pond yielded a stringer of 16 bream and the stringer weighed 21 lbs.). We also found ponds around the surrounding counties. I suggest getting a NC Backroads Atlas & Gazetteer at Walmart, a must have for all NC Anglers. This shows the ponds and the roads that lead to them. Then just knock on doors until you get permission. I also fished and hunted Jordan Lake area from NC 751 around the New Hope Game Land just southeast of CH. Think crappie and bass on the riprap shoreline near the bridges there. Did I mention the huge stringer of crappies from a University Lake rowboat under the highway bridge??? Well don't forget that tidbit come springtime. And while your at it...take a girl fishing! ;)
Good luck on exams and Merry Christmas,
Andy

·
Registered
341 Posts
Zach,

Welcome aboard and welcome to NC. Sorry you couldn't get into college anywhere but Carolina will do until you can transfer into a good university. :rolleyes:

As for fishing, Chapel Hill runs right up to the backside of Jordan so some of the creeks around the area should be productive for you. I know you can get fairly good access to the lake not too far from campus at the Fearington boat ramp. There is plenty of "walkable" shoreline there, some with good dropoff area access within casting distance. I'll try to post some possibilities on my website soon (and will share the address when I get that done).

Don't forget about Harris Lake. There are a couple of good access points and plenty of slabs can be had from the bridge near Holleman's Crossroads.

As far as a boat is concerned, you may give some thought to joining those of us who fish from kayaks. Close to the water and cheap to operate (assuming you are not such a starving student as to not get good meals). Look around campus ... the athletic department may have canoes or 'yaks you can check-out over the weekend.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
205 Posts
zach if you can or know how to find moncure, it,s on 64 or 1 i can't remember, I personally like to fish the tailrace below the dam, it's kind of trashy, but you have to overlook that, I catch everything that swims in jordan , hybrids crappie, white bass cats,etc. do not really know how it fishes this late in the year though. just a thought for a fellow shore bound angler.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
The dam is located off US 1 South from Raleigh. The tailrace is a bit trashy but the fishing is generally good. I have caught enough cast nets to keep me in lead for ever!

·
Registered
205 Posts
dragons breath, if you want to see some confused people, last april or may i took my 9 weight fly rod and caught a couple of small hybrids. I don't think they knew what i was doing with the strange contraption, but when i released my fish that really sent them for a flip.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Redfish ...

Were you fishing on the rocks in the turbulent water or on down stream (beyond the tailrace structure)? It gets mighty crowded on the pier and the rocks are well populated.

As for releasing your catch, I can only imagine the look on some faces as many of the people I see out there will keep anything that they can haul in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
dragons breath I was fishing just below the spilway on the opposite side of the parking lot. it was mostly roll casting , I also made a few casts where the rocks stop and there is a little flat spot where the water tends to slow up just a bit ( about 100 yds below the spillway) was the only person there that day fishing wit artificials.

·
Registered
359 Posts
hi zachdaddy welcome aboard, I live in wilmington but have a brother in law at falls lake(he`s a ranger) I have fished it many times and love the bass and crappie this time of the year. check it out., ogrefish

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.