NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you all heard about the Sanderson Chicken Slaughterhouse in Kinston that slid in under the radar and the fight going on in Nash and Wilson Counties over the proposed plat on the Wilson/Nash County line? Just what we need, more nitrogen in the Neuse and Tar/Pamlico river basins. The waste water treatment for and spray field for the Kinston plant is basically on the banks of the Neuse River about 1 mile up river from the US 70 bridge everyone frequents for Shad. The planned spray field for the Nash plant will receive waste water pumped 6 to 7 miles from the plant site on Hwy 97 and drain in to the Contentnea Basin which is Wilson's drinking water watershed and eventually makes its way to the Neuse, the junction of which is another great Shad fishing location. Beyond the waste water issues in the 1,000 industrial chicken houses that will be needed to "feed" these two plants chickens that will locate in the Neuse and Tar/Pamlico basins. Chicken houses are unregulated (unlike regulatory changes made to hog farm operations after the hog lagoon failures). Check out Sanderson Farms: Say No To Sanderson Farms for more information.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
OH great and we hear about it too late to get anythng done too I bet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH great and we hear about it too late to get anythng done too I bet.
Too late on the Kinston Plant, like I said, done under the radar. The City of Wilson's city council is fighting Nash County over the placement of the plant in their drinking water watershed. Plant is temporarily delayed, but word is it is just a bait and switch while the company works on their engineering plans for construction. check out the say no to sanderson web site, their is also a citizen group fighting them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How did the forum ealier this week go? I know the group had a couple of lighted road signs along 97 with a phone number to call for updates on meetings and such; do you know if that number is still being updated? Or is there a better way to stay up to date on any new information?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
signed, facebooked, emailed and tweeted!!

Reactions: minerniner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts