NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just created a database for information on fish species called "Fish Facts". It will take several weeks for me input all the data and images but NCangler.com members will be able to view information on fish such as common name, scientific name, size, habitat, record catches, etc. And for species we fish for in North Carolina we'll be adding suggested baits or lures, suggested tackle for fishing them, along with tips from knowledgeable experts. It may take me years to get all this information in the database but I think it will be wonderful information for NC anglers as well as school kids.

I am very pleased that we are licensed to use the beautiful images of North Carolina Wildlife Artist Duane Raver. Duane is an internationally known wildlife artist and we very much appreciate the user of his images here.

You must be a registered angler to access Fish Facts. I've entered a few fish already so check it out and let me know what you think. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Randy--- This will definitely be a great asset for the site. It just keeps getting better! The usable threads and forums that you are creating and adding are going to leave some of the other fishing sites behind in a cloud of dust or should I say a big water wake. Thanks for your creative ability and hard work.

Regards, Forrest

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Forrest. I'm enjoying developing this. I just hope we get some more Captain's Club and Angler Sponsor members going so I can start recouping some of the costs. :p

I'm working on completing our new Tide Tables, then implementing a custom Solarlunar Table Calculator, and finally a database for storing Fly-fishing Ties. Stay tuned! :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Randy, the Fish Facts section looks Fantastic. Yet another awesome feature to an already awesome site, it just keeps getting better!!! :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would say registered members. That way if someone really wants to see it, they will take 5 minutes to register, thereby increasing the sites membership. Look at how much work you have already put into the Fish Facts section, I do not think asking someone to register is to much to ask for to be able to use such a valuable resource.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Randy--- I own a book listing all the fishes of the Southeastern USA written by a NCSU professor. I bought it about 20 years ago. It is an excellent book, but it takes much time to look in index to research a species plus I paid more for the book than you are requesting for annual memberships. This site with overall information about North Carolina fishing and ease to navigate is the better buy.

Regards, Forrest

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Registered members only. You can always change it's status at a later date if you decide to. right now you need registered members for advertising purposes. Later if too many are inactive you still have options. Your hard work and focus are not going unnoticed. Keep plugging you are getting closer everyday to assuring this site will be a success. Al

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fish Facts filling up!

Well my sons input a lot of Fish Fact information for me this past weekend adding many saltwater species with illustrations, world and NC record catches and some information about the fish. I would welcome some input from members of the site on filling in the suggested tackle, habitat, and fishing tips information for any species you feel comfortable sharing about. Just send any information on a particular species to me at [email protected] and I'll plug it in the database. If you haven't seen the "Fish Facts" database yet, check it out by clicking on the link above. You must be a NCangler.com member to access it but registration is free and only takes a minute to complete. If for some reason you have a problem registering (these are computers ya know!) just email me a description of the problem you're having and we'll get you up and running. Send any tech support questions to [email protected]. And if you like the Fish Facts section of our site leave us a note to say so! ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was just looking through the fish facts a little bit earlier. Good on your son for getting all the other species loaded, I was beginning to think we were starting to specialize in bottom feeders. :D I continue to be impressed with the artwork, it is top notch. I wonder if he has ever done any work featuring aquatic insects.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can ask. Duane lives in Garner/Clayton area. We talked last week and he is going to be sending me some more information to pull from. I hope to carry some of his work in our online store in a few months.

Randy

·
Registered
523 Posts
Randy, I'll try to find the .pdf document I put together last year on NC saltwater fish. I borrowed much of the information from the NCMF website and another website that I think Hampsteadfishing provided a link for on baitfish. (Baitfish and methods of catching and using might be a nice addition!) It had lots of good info. If I didn't loose it in the great laptop crash of December 2005, I'll email it to you. It also provided NC/World records on most species. Is Duane a member on the board (it's another Claytonite asking)?

Fish Facts is a GREAT feature, restricting it to registered members is a good idea. Just a suggestion, but when asking people to register, you can't stress FREE enough or the fact that you WON'T share/sell the member's info. I know I have avoided registering on sites because I was afraid of the spam I would get if I gave out my address. One last suggestion/question, I know there are at least a couple of threads regarding Flounder and Trout Tips. Is there a way to link to these kinds of thread in Fish Facts?

THANKS for all the HARD WORK,
PH

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback PH. I'd love to get that information if it survived the laptop crash! :) I don't think Duane has joined yet but he and I have been communicating. He sent me a notebook of his fish illustrations that I am going to scan and burn a CD of for him in exchange for being able to use them on the site. Great guy and I hope he will participate here.

I don't have a way to link to those threads currently. But for anyone that wants to search the site for any information on a particular species, all you have to do is use the "SuperSearch II" module in the left hand column on the home page. Enter the species you want to find posts about, for instance "flounder" then click on "Go". It you just hit enter it may not work, you have to click on "Go". There is a drop down utility there to also allow you to search outside of the North Carolina Angler Forums. You can quickly access eight of the top search engines. If you use a search engine that is not included let me know and I'll add it. :)

Great point about emphasizing that the registration is FREE on this site and that we do not sell or allow access to email addresses to anyone else. They are only for the purpose of contacting members with information about NCangler.com. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.