NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking forward to some good fishing in the Fayetteville area after moving from Pennsylvania last January 1st. Recently retired from a sales career but not from fishing! :p Looking for a boat and motor to get out on the Cape Fear River and introduce myself to the local catfish population.:)

The forums are great!

PS: Best tackle shops in the FV area?:(

Look forward to the fun!:D

Kip

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Welcome aboard, Kip!
Hope you don't miss the snow too bad! Three things ya gotta watch out for down here when it snows:
  • Southerners who don't know how to drive on snow
  • Yankees who don't realize there's ice in addition to the snow
  • Southerners who don't realize a 4x4 slides just as easily as anything else on ice.
So on the few days every couple of days when the snow and ice hit, stay home, fire up the laptop and spend some time with NCAngler!! :D

Lefty

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
lol
welcome to the site.

cat fishing in this state is a heavy tackle thing.. live bait includes whole brim-blue gills- white perch,shad,alwives,and herring i dabble at cat fishing my personal best is 78 pounds on a jug.. 58 on a rod and reel. so rig accordingly.. and stay near the surface..

zooker

·
Registered
574 Posts
Welcome to the site Kip. Hope to hear about your catfishing soon. I think you'll figure out there are as many places to shop for tackle as there are place to eat in NC. Backlash seems to know Fayettenam...er...I mean Fayetteville :D pretty well.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Welcome and AK Mc Callum's (like backlash mentioned) on Ramsey Street is probably the best in the area... (that's not sayin they got the best price, but they'll have what you need, if not can get it from Salt to fresh).

Cape Fear is the place for big cats. Within your reach you'll have plenty areas to access the river from Sanford on down to Elizebethtown. There's also Waldo's Beach (sorry cant remember exact location, ask around...) that has a boat ramp and some fishing/boating, there's White Lake (nice and clear,, has alot of yellow perch in there) south of Fayetteville (just follow the signs on 87 south towards Elizebethtown.
Further south on 74/76 is Lake Wacamaw, and to the north from 87 north US 1 are Lake Jordan and Shearon Harris lake (off the Old US 1 exit by the brick plant south of Jordan).

So plenty of places to fish, not to mention little ponds here an there especially ones on gamelands (Lee, Wake, Chatham, Buckhorn, Uwharries)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.