NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from the Hospice Flea Market in Burlington, NC--I spent 3 dollars on some flash, threads and yarn for making some new saltwater flies and streamers. I occasionally like to offer the specks something new. It also totally confuses my trout fishing buddies.:D

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I just returned from the Hospice Flea Market in Burlington, NC--I spent 3 dollars on some flash, threads and yarn for making some new saltwater flies and streamers. I occasionally like to offer the specks something new. It also totally confuses my trout fishing buddies.:D

|Glad to see you still know how to splurge on those trout. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see the pictures.:D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep , I like the el cheapo lures--aready getting started on some of the colors picked up today.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
What kinda gun did you carry? I've heard rpg's work good for getting prices like those.:eek: I scored a little gold metallic braid yesterday as I was throwing some boxes away. It had been used to hold a tag on a light fixture. I thoght I had made a great purchase a few weeks ago when I scored some thread at $4/spool. Of course they were big spools ( 6" tall by 3" in diameter.) All the thread I bought was a little large for fly tying but just right for saltwater jigs. I didn't get any flashy stuff though and could only use about 5 colors of what she had. Still way better than rod wrapping thread prices or fly tying thread. Fleamarkets are a great help if you buy cautiously. AL

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Al, Are you taking the photos in daylight or using a flash? Sometimes it is helpful when shooting objects to shoot them in the daylight. I'm a filmmaker and after all these years I'm still amazed at how many lights and how much effort we go to trying to replicate what God does with one large key light, the sun. ;)

And does your camera have autofocus and/or manual? And it might be worth investing in a $15-20 small tabletop tripod to mount your camera on if you'll be doing many product shots.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Randy, after rereading the instructions that came with the camera I am convinced of two things !. it is not manual focus or auto focus.... just outta focus:rolleyes: 2. Dave was right, I need to get a better camera.:( The instructions say something to the effect of...this camera was designed for a focal length of 4.3 '. I guess that is enough for some uses but I can't tell anyone what that might be. Outside light seems to be the only light souce for it. I have set it up for indoor photos according to the instructions and the pictures all came out terrible. Tried setting the white balance to auto and they still came out terrible. Outdoors large objects seem much easier to photgraph but I have yet to get a good picture with it. Mediocre is about as good as I have achieved with it. Live and learn I guess.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
And if there is a digital zoom you may want to turn that off to see if you can get a better autofocus. If everything else fails physically back away a bit and zoom in, focus then shoot. Not sure what to tell you without being there. But I'd be happy to meet with you sometime to take some photos of your lures if you like. In fact if it is convenient to meet at my house (it is for me :)) we can shoot some with my camera and then take some with yours to figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Al---Those lures look like just the ticket to jig the bottom for gray trout. I would offer some advice on picture taking but, when I got my first digital I accidentally deleted every Christmas picture taken that year-- still hear about that -- occasionally.

Just ship me all your rods and reels-- plus all of your lures,etc. I'll take pictures of what you HAD! -- post them and send you copies of all pictures.:D Hope plain paper will be OK -- Photo paper costs too much.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Thanks guys I'll try turning the zoom all the way down but as for auto focus I couldn't find any mention of it or macro mode. I've still got to order wire and hardware for these as well as paint. I've been kinda slack on that kinda of thing because the heat has been taking away any drive I have left at the end of the day. That seems to be improving but today I discovered a leak in the little cars gas tank so that will be first on the agenda. It's kinda hard to go back to less than 10 mpg with gas prices thru the roof. Also I am going to have to do a little mold modification before making a large run.
Forrest, you be on the lookout for a AAA Cooper Truck pulling a 53' trailer. I sure hope you have plenty of paper. Sorry I just couldn't part with all of it. Besides you might want some time to try some of it out. :D :D AL

PS I think I just read the name of my picture woes...POLAROID. (pain in the rear from top to bottom)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.