NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new, and looking for some locations to fish (onshore).

I used to fish on boats all the time in FL, and right now it doesnt seem to be worthwhile owning one.

I fished at the Mountain Island Dam a few times...and caught a nice striper there. It was around 1am...and it was freezing!

I also been to McGuire a couple of times..but no luck there.

Also....does anyone know where to buy nice size shads?

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
right now it doesnt seem to be worthwhile owning one.
Amen. Not sure its worthwhile owning my truck right now. I've given myself a "raise" just by working from home 3 days a week.

Good questions on shore fishing for stripers - I've got no answers. Not much shoreline striper fishing talk here in the triangle. Have seen some old pics of spillway fish at Falls and heard talk of them at Jordan.

We've got some Mtn Island and Norman fishermen on the board - should get some feedback.

PS: If you don't want to burn gas you can always get a fishing kayak and join up with team hardcore - they're very active in the Charlotte area. I'm sure we'll hear from some of them shortly too...

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
One of Team Hardcore here. The bad news is you already know about the 2 spots I`d tell you to fish the bank.We still put in at the dam pretty regular. You can fish around the landing at hwy 16. (riverbend) boat landing.Can go to Bobby`s in Mt. Holly(where 273 crosses)If you hang around the dam when the shad are thick get em and freeze em. A buddy of mine just ran out last wknd. They catch stripes on Norman with them. It`s just too hard to catch shad all year long. I don`t know anywhere to buy them. We`ll let anybody that wants to, try a yak out. You might want to wait for summer for your 1st time though. Welcome to the site.--------------------stu

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Little add-on. Forgot to mention the hot hole fishing access in Belmont. It`s been the hottest spot going for a month or so. Mainly LMB,crappie and perch. Also a good place to cast net shad. It is a fishing access but we put in there too. You don`t have to wait till summer but ,just in case better to be warm. I am not a licensed guide but a six pack of heineken will get you more info than you want.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome!

Bobsbait.net sells shad and is one of the only places I know that does. You can buy shiners and goldfish in Lincolnton and shiners and trout in Mooresville.

On the lower end of the lake there are not many (any?) bait shops left.

To target shad on your own on Lake Norman is pretty tough. I would suggest trying to catch white perch on a sabiki rig instead as they are much more plentiful (but that would be difficult from shore)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
squid - that's pretty far from mountain island lake.....I live in the university area.

stukayak - is that place in belmont only accessible by kayak?

any other striper fishing spots? thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
I work in the Univ area. Small world

If you are interested in shiners, head down I 485 to Albemarle Rd. and head west about a mile or so. There is a bait shop on the left but i can not remember their name.

They have carried trout in the past, but always carry shiners

(Wilburn, Wilmont.. starts with a W I think)

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Renriq02, Hothole in bemont is a fishing access. Which means it`s for bank fishing and not TECHNICALLY a boat launch.To us a kayak is not TECHNICALLY a boat. It`s a kayak. We stay well out of everyones way.Don`t know every rd. name but you`d just hit 85 to belmont cross over 74 and when you hit a T intersection turn left. Southpointe rd. I think. It will take you right over the cooling canal if you go past the turn (right). Just ask in Belmont everybody knows the spot.Some good bank fisherman down there. Especially for crappie. We ever get your butt in a kayak you`ll give up the bank, promise.Google earth it if you want to see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.