NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- My name is David Ross and although I live and mainly fish around Cape Cod I have gotten to NC iin the past and hope to do more so in the future. I am an oceanographer at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. I fish, mainly fly fish, from my Jones Bros, in Vineyard Sound.

I have 2 articles posted on the NCAngler.com web site- The Thermal Optimum and The Pressure Myth- I would be interested in any comments about them. I also write the marine science column in Saltwater Fly Fishing magazine, and wrote a book that might interest some of you- The Fisherman's Ocean (Stackpole Books). Cheers Dave Ross

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Dave, it is a real pleasure to see your name on our member list. I haven't gotten to The Thermal Optimum yet but I found The Pressure Myth to be very enlightening. I had often wondered how barometric pressure changes could possibly effect fish when a minute change in depth would have a like effect. I have seen fish behavior that seemed to back up the barometric pressure myth but now I realize that things such as sunlight intensity are changing along with the barometric pressure. The temperature change at depth is often very insignificant but at certain times of the year I feel that especially older fish may respond to changes in relative light intensity. I found that pointing out the obvious certainly changed my line of thinking. Thanks for doing so in a manner that even I could understand. I believe I will reread that article before I read The Thermal Optimum as I was sleep deprived at the time I read it and I realized that even though I made it through the article without going to sleep or anything I probably overlooked something important. I certainly appeciate your efforts. AL

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Hi David and welcome to the NCAngler board.

I enjoyed your article on the pressure myth. As a scuba diver, the pressure changes at depth related to the relatively small changes at sea level made a whole lot of sense. To be honest I never put a lot of stock in the pressure/bite relationship. I haven't read thermal optimum article yet but will have to soon.

Thanks again for sharing your articles with us!

Mike

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed that after rereading The Pressure Myth that I had retained what you had written and not missed anything. That says alot about how well it was written because I remember being very sleepy but interested enough to read it before giving in and going to bed. Most of the time I don't retain stuff so well under those conditions. I was also impressed by The Thermal Optimum article. Having done a good bit of research in that area I was pretty sure I knew the state of scientific knowledge in that area. You nailed it precisely and concisely. It sure is a better read than all the articles and scientific papers that I had to read to come up with the same information. It also places all the information in a small enough package that it is easily assimilated. Good Job! AL

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Dave--- I was enlightened (somewhat) to read your article on the Pressure Myth. All my life I have suffered from tinnitus (ringing in ears) and can pretty well give barometer readings by the the intensity of the ringing in my ears. I am presently retired,mostly,and had had figured since I'm plagued with this ailment I should use it for my advantage. I figured if there was anything to the fish bite and pressures I should consider starting The Ringy Dingy Fishing Guide Service as I would be able to predict the fish bite based on my ears ringing. Since you have clarified this for me, I guess I'll settle for tying my crude fishing flies and just go fishing whenever and whatever times the notion strikes me like I have always done. Both of your articles are great! WELCOME TO THE SITE!

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
523 Posts
Dave, First of all, welcome to the site. I read the pressure myth article and what you had to say made a lot of sense. Like Mike said, if you have ever been diving and have a basic understanding of atmospheres at certain depths, you can't help but read the articles and saying "oh, yeah, I can buy that!" Once again, welcome aboard and thanks for the info! I'll check out the other article as well.

PH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.