NC Angler Forums banner

New Member from Cary, NC -- formerly from WNC

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  FishinCary 
#1 ·
I'm a new member trying to find good places to fly fish in these "flat lands" after growing up in Waynesville, NC (WNC).

Any tips on catching bass on a fly rod in these farm ponds or golf course ponds including flies and line weights would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Welcome aboard

Maybe you should try to get up with the KID (fishincary) he know's most of the Cary fish by name but has mentioned that he isn't much for the fly rod. Sounds like the two of you could learn a lot from each other.
If your ever traveling back up 40 to Waynesville and have a little extra time let me know if I am off we'll hit Hickory for a while

Darrell

#7 ·
I would suggest divers , woolheads ,bendback streamers,popping bugs(8 for gills) to larger poppers(2 for bass) and wooly buggers for everything. This is my short list. I did not include larger bottom bouncers... they are great too but sometimes heavier gear is needed. Most of these are great with a 6-7wt.I use a floating WFF line for most of my fishing.I generally tie bass flies with size 4 to 2 and for gills 8 to 6 hooks.Size 5 wt is fun for gills Take note most of my streams and rivers are black water and slow moving.Divers are my first choice here.I have fished a river not far from Sanford and I did very well. It was fun wading in the water!It does remind me of the foothills water. One more recomendation...CK with H20 on this site ...he is in the piedmont and does very well with bass and gills.

#8 ·
Im up for some flyfishing :)! I have lived in cary all my life and ill show you where the bass live and glad to show ya. Mabye you can teach me how to fling that rod around and get the fly somwhere other than a tree :D! Ill go dig up my fly rod if your interested, message me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.