NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
Just joined last night and am loving all the info here. I am a senior at NC State University in Animal Science (hoping and praying with everything I've got to go to vet school afterwards). Finally got an apartment up here with some of my friends so I am now in search of places to fish. I grew up fishing with my Granddad whenever I went up to Roanoke, VA where my mom's side is from. We fished everything from Smith Mountain Lake, rivers, creeks, farm ponds, stocked ponds, etc, and the annual summer trip to the OBX. Fishing became a once in a blue moon adventure for me once I got a bit older (it's funny how life gets so busy we end up giving up the things that can make us happiest). So, just put new line on my two cheap spinning rods, ordered my fishing license for this year, and am hoping to find some spots to fish in Raleigh. Finding out though that Raleigh is not a fan of bank fishing. Don't have my own boat so this may be tricky. If anyone knows of good places to fish just sittin on a bank that would be great, and if you have a farm pond you would like to share even better. Some of the best fish I've ever caught are just in people's fields with cows around me (again, I am an Animal Science major). So, great to be here, love to meet people and learn anything about fishing (it's been so long I'm basically starting over), and love to hear about any places around Raleigh I can get access to. I live like three minutes from lake Johnson (just to give an idea of where I am)...but of course "bank fishing is prohibited"....bummer.

421 Posts
Umstead Park has two lakes that can have good bass fishing and have good panfishing. Im not sure about the catfish there though, there may be some but ive never seen any caught. and yeah it stinks lake johnson has no bank fishing. Ive gotten caught a couple of times.... haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
welcome ! I am new here myself ....lol i didnt know lake johnson prohibited bank fishing ...woops...Guess i just didnt get caught....
Im in the same boat , so i will keep you in mind if i come across anywhere

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.