NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it goin everyone........my name is Tony......just got a lil row boat a week ago and been out on the water ever since lol.

Looking for some good spots...........I had one in Holly Ridge a few years back but now all the woods around it have been cleared out and I think that ran the fish off......not sure.

I like going back in the creeks away from everything..........anyone have any spots they wanna let me know about.........from Porters Neck to Sneads ferry?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Need a good spot around Topsail....

I just got a little row boat a week ago......perfect for that good ol drum spot I went to a few years back. The spot has been cleared of the surrounding woods.....possibly running off the fish.

Went to the drum spot the last 2 days........nothing. Top fished and bottom fished. I did SEE a good size drum though......probably.........made a nice big swirl in the water.

Have some friends going out with me tomorrow and I'm kinda scared to go back to my spot.........I wanna catch some fish!

Can anyone tell me where a decent fishing spot is that I can take my boat but not have to row a mile? I like going back in the creeks where the fish bite.....or I could go out a little deep and anchor up i guess.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Gotta show my friends a good fishing time!

PM me if you dont want everyone else to see where the spot is.........I wont tell.......promise!!!!!!!!!Thanks

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Tony, welcome to NCAngler.

Behind Permuda Island (Topsail Island side) around the old bridge pilings and the marsh across from it. Around the SC Bridge and the marshes in Banks channel are some other spots to try. Look for the deep holes when the nights are cold and then the sandy flats on warm sunny days. The puppy drum are around and hungry if you can find them.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Welcome Tony. I row too - but I can see where I'm going (kayak)!:)

You ought to get some bites on that question - we have a few good men from the Topsail/Sneads Ferry area out here. I've got the lizards and pinfish pretty well figured out at Scotts Hill, but that's about it so far as I've only made that run down I-40 a couple times.

Good luck and let us know what you catch!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Topsail_Angler...........I checked your site out before I found this one....

Is Permuda Island and the bridge you are talking about over near the SC Campground?.........used to be a dirt road that took you to a broken down bridge but last I saw it was being cleared out. That is my other spot but have never been there on boat. Always got good bites there but never pulled anything big in.

Where is the closest spot I can throw my boat in? I guess as long as I can park the truck somewhere me and my buddies can carry the boat to the water.

Where is banks channel? Thanks again!

Hi..........Jeffonc and Capefearfly.......will let you all know how it goes tomorrow......and probably sat and sun

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Permuda Island is the place you described. When the state acquired the land on the island and turned it into a sanctuary they dug out the old road bed that led to the burnout bridge. The water flow has improved and hopefully the fishing will be back to about normal for there (very good) or according to the state better (yeah right). There are a couple of deep holes and some nearby flats, perfect combination for winter puppy drum. Use to be a great flounder spot and specks in the fall but didn't do much there this past year after the marsh was dug up (road bed removal).

Banks channel starts a few miles south of the SC bridge. It is on the left side of the ICW (island side) as you head south then it runs toward the island and runs alway down to the inlet right next (or at least close) to the island. Lots of marsh, flats and deep holes back int here. Also in the warmer months the docks hold fish.

As far as put ins, can't help much there as I'm a power boat guy and the ramps I use are quite a ways for a paddle.

Also this time of year you might try around Virginia creek and Becky's creek on the mainland side.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party! Happy rowing!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Anyone ever been down at the very end of north topsail on boat? Or at the big bridge at the north end? Is there a public launch there? I know there are lots of haystacks around the bridge that I could get to on my lil boat. Are haystacks a good place to be for fish?

Tomorrow morning I'm going to go to Sloop Pt and head out to Virginia Creek.

Ive been looking at maps on mapquest and it looks like there are some nice creeks at the places I mentioned. Any pointers?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Tony - I'm not sure what you mean by "haystacks". There is a place up by Morehead/Beaufort called the haystacks (AKA: Newport Marsh on some charts) but that is quite a ways from here.

There is a boat ramp right under the high rise bridge going over to North Topsail beach. You'll see the sign beside the bridge on the island side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went to the end of Sloop Pt today and rowed out to Va Creek......caught nothing all day. Did get a bite or two here and there. A crab every now and then. Rowed ALOT!!! Its alright though.....it actually doesnt wear me out as I expected.......will definately build me up some for the summer......I hope lol.

BAIT = Frozen then thawed shrimp......prob not so good. Tried a few minnows or whatever that I caught on shore........still nothing.

It is nice exploring in my lil boat though and even though I havent caught anything yet it is still great to be out on the water.

Topsail Angler the haystacks I was referring to is just grass squares or whatever out there near the north end bridge........I just didnt read up enough on what haystacks were haha.

Fish Hunter ................... THANKS!!!!!!!!!! Might head over there tomorrow. I looked on mapquest and I'm not sure where I need to go in at. Followed Old Folkstone on the map and it takes me to Turkey Pt Rd. which leads to the water it looks like. Get to the water and go right to get to the creek. Is this right?

Is the One Stop you are talking about by the SC bridge?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Think hes indicating the runs/ islands that are adjacent to the ICW by the high rise bridge.?????

Maybe talking about the broom straw laden banks??

OH yea go get them, theirs fish in dem waters.:cool:

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
You got the right place for Turkey creek - the turns are marked with Wildlife ramp signs so once you get on Old folkstone road you will see them.

Ah - the marshes. The Haystacks are marshes and little islands too but a particular set up near Beaufort. Local tradition holds that when there was a menhaden processing plant on one of those islands, the menhaden where stacked up high like stacks of hay, so the name stuck even though the menhaden plant is long gone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yep, the One Stop is right by the bridge. They even have a ramp to put in at. Behind the spoils island works well. You can cross the ICW and feed into the bays behind East Coast Tackle as well. That area holds pups and flounder as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.