NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang

I grew up in Raleigh and spent a lot of time in the Topsail/Wrightsville area as a kid. I now live up in Delaware and fish a lot in the Chesapeake and Delaware bays. I am going to be down at Ocean Isle the week of August 5th and bringing down my 19 ft Boston Whaler. I have fished the waterway for flounder and etc but would like to venture out in the big water to try to fish/troll for spanish and kings or drum and anything else that would be fun to pull on and to eat.

Any recommendations, info, spots to fish, tackle, bait, lures and etc. from the board would be greatly appreciated.

I will be going out of the Shallotte inlet. Any tips on getting out of the inlet would also be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
300 Posts
I will be taking my 16 foot out to ocean isle thursday the 19th to monday the 23. i don't know if im gonna go out past the waves this time. my motor died and i have a weaker one on but i will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Nature boy, welcome aboard. If you can hold off a little bit on the where to fish part we will get you something a little more likely to help you out. As we don't have too many members running the inlet down there we might have to wait and see what cnoffsin has to say when he comes back. As for tackle and tips how to's etc. that is about 2 or 3 books worth of stuff to cover it all. We have several pages in the saltwater offshore forum that you can look thru and pick out threads to read. There is a lot of good info you would miss otherwise. As you read jot down any questions and we will be glad to answer them the best we can. I hope this doesn't put you off but I'm trying to avoid writing them 2 or 3 books just yet. lol.
P.S. There is also a saltwater tackle and tips forum you can look thru.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nature Boy,
Welcome to the forums. If you go to the top of the page in the blue column you will see Search. Click on that and then type in Ocean Isle. You will get a whole list of threads on the area. That should get you started. Good luck.
Gery

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Also in that same tool bar there is a links button. Just click on links and when the page comes up click on saltwater links. At the bottom of the page will a link for the Department of Marine Fisheries. On their homepage on the right hand side is a reef locations link that has all of the artifical reef locations for the state. Also on the right hand side is a link for the Coastal Habitat Protection Plan. All of the state's known hardbottom areas are mapped on pages 25 thru 30. There are regs and a size and quantity limit chart there among other things.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Sinkerman - thanks for posting that link. The map shown there is useful and the GPS co-ordinates for the reefs come in handy but let me mention something about the map.

It is made by a company called Maps Unique and they make a bunch of them for different areas to help fisherman find fish. I have two and love them. The one shown on the LBAFA site is an old version and doesn't show one of the most important man made reefs in that area.

It is called WOFES and was started in 1994 as part of the project to dredge the Cape Fear River channel deeper. In fact it is the largest man made reef in NC and perhaps the world. The latest version from Maps Unique has it included as do many other recent charts. It is man made but not considered an "artificial" reef as it's made from naturally occurring materials in the area (from about 2-3 miles away).

LBARA wasn't involved in making it so I guess they don't include it on their web site but if you fish down that way, you will want to try WOFES.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Wilminton Offshore Fisheries Enhancement Structure cordinates: (these are not precise because of the size and slope of the structure). long leg end: 33.47.75N 78.02.20W To 33.47.21N 78.01.39W at the intersection end. The top of the short leg intersection is approx. 33.47.33N & 78.01.33Wand it extends 90 degrees to the longer leg to approx. 33.47.50N 78.1.50W
here is the link to the article where these #'s came from and describing the fisheries enhancement structure.What is the WOFES? - FLW Outdoors

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey - I'd be careful with those FLW numbers. I saw that article a week or so ago but just checked the numbers they published against mine today. Not only are they a bit off the mark, they don't form an L like stated in the article (the centerline of the reef isn't really an L though - it's more of a lopsided T).

Here's what I got:
Leg "A" - NE end - N33 47.750 W78 01.383
Leg "A" - SW end - N33 47.166 W78 02.066
Leg "B" - NW end - N33 47.850 W78 01.866
Leg "B" - intersection with "A" - N33 47.616 W78 01.583

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I think that is because they were taken on the edges of the reef. I plotted them out on a blank piece of paper when I noticed that the good Capt. had somehow lost his sense of direction. Things seemed a little fishy. The top of the reef is supposedly a 200 -300 yd wide flat area with a 1 in 20 slope up the sides if I remember correctly. It apears that all readings except the intersection were taken where the limestone rock apron starts and that makes for a wide L. Not taking the readings in relation to the center line is probably what accounts for the lopsided T effect. I suspect all readings probably have limestone rubble underneath and I'm pretty sure from plotting it out on Paper that if you use those cordinates you will at least be close to the edge. The one that I think was taken on the top is the one listed as the intersection. I hope this is correct, and I believe it to be. According to the article the profile of the reef is something like this __/ML_, but with sloped out sides and the depth determined the slope and actual apron width.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
When I plotted the numbers from Jerry's article in Mapsource and compared them to mine, they just seem to be "ball park" numbers and form two parallel lines, one shorter than the other.

The actual structure (from the centerline) looks more like a lopsided "T" - sorta like this:

____l_ with the long leg on an a SW to NE angle. It would look like an "L" if you were looking at the edge of the rubble instead of the centerline.

My numbers show the centerline of the actual formation and if you plot them you will see the "T" shape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a bunch guys for all the info. I am busy plugging them into my gps. Go down in two weeks and can't wait. I went crabbing on the Chester River in Maryland on Saturday with my wife and son it couldn't have been much better. Good fishing up here too.

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I went back and actually did a little better job of plotting the original numbers and the plotted Topsail Anglers's over the top and I like his numbers a whole lot better. I can't make sense of the numbers in the article unless they got the intersetion number swapped with another...and the other isn't used at all. Even then the intersection # would be out on the SE edge of the top. I think It would be best to scrap the numbers in the article and use the centerline #'s at least to mark your chart with and as the GPS Numbers for the structure. Bottom fishing spots could be added as you found them.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
It's hard to trust publically printed #'s... at best, they put you in the same universe, but can be out of the ball park.. (not all, but alot..). Mostly not due to misrepresentation, but things move around out in the waters.. and can shift. We had some great #'s in Fla in the northern gulf only for them to be awash now after 2 hurricanes..

Current and accurate is always the dog chasing the tail..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Went to ocean isle this past weekend thursday to monday (no boat). Me and 2 friends fished all weekend and had NO luck.

Tried Squid, finger mullet, cut mullet, shrimp, bloodworms, and gulp baits. I used spider weights, rattler floats, sputnik weights, pyramid sinkers, treble hooks, circle hooks, and we had 5 rods with us including my 11 foot surf rod.

My buddy caught one Spot, a guy that wasn't with us caught a 3 foot hammerhead (i had to pull the hook out and release it for him), and i caught a very small black tip shark glowsticking it by myself sunday night (released it too).

There must have been 8 boats in tubbs inlet fishing. I personally saw no one pull anything up.

The current must have been the strongest its ever been. It was like someone cut the pool pump on and the water was just sucking around the island.

I have had lots of luck in the same spot 2 months ago. Bluefish flounder etc. Just a bad time of year i guess.

I heard that around the sunset beach swinging bridge fishing is good. that is why i wanted my boat.

Hope this helps. Can't wait to go back to oak hollow this week.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I fished McGlammery reef on sat 28th and the flounder bite was good along
with spanish, skates, toads, lizards and sharks. saw some boats trolling but
was not paying enuff attention to know whether successful or not. you can go
there or to yaupon reef easily from shallotte inlet but lockwood may be a better choice. great small boat fishing at both.

good luck
I'll probably be out there all that week also.
hollar on channel 6
reiddog

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.