NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Let me first introduce myself. My name is Greg Orcutt and I am a park ranger at Falls Lake. I am the one who happens to live at this fishing access. I would like to clarify the rules and regulations pertaining to launching boats at the Old Weaver trail location.

First, only non-gasoline powered boats that are carried in (basically canoes and kayaks) can be launched from this access. If your boat is on a trailer, it is illegal to launch from this location and individuals will face a citation if caught. We have tried to place cable across the widened area but someone keeps either running it over or otherwise destroying it.

If you would like to launch a boat from a trailer you will need to use the boat ramp located at Beaverdam recreation Area located off Hwy 50 approximately 4 miles north of NC 98. During the summer months there is an entrance fee charged per vehicle.

As far as how long people can stay out there and fish, I could really care less. The sign states that the area closes at sunset, but as long as I'm not woken up in the middle of the night, have at it. I love to fish myself and that area is a GREAT spot to crappie and cat fish.

If any of you have any questions about this area or any other areas managed by the NC Division of Parks and Recreation, I would be more than happy to answer you. I can also be contacted at the Falls Lake park office at 919-676-1027.

I sincerely hope that I have been a help to this forum. It is my intention to educate fishermen of our rules and regulations before citations are written. If there is anyone who would like an electronic copy of our rules and regulations please email me at [email protected]

Thanks, and happy fishing.

Here is a link to our boating regulation:
SUBCHAPTER 12B ﷓ PARKS AND RECREATION AREAS

State Parks only allows boat ramps as designated boat launch facilities. Since there is no ecological damage done by porting a canoe or kayak down a trail, we allow the launching of canoes from the Old Weaver Trail area.

Here is a link to our vehicle regulation:
SECTION

This explains that vehicles are only designated to be in certain areas. The Old Weaver access is designated for vehicle traffic, but only on the paved portions of the access. This does not include the area along the shoreline where the bollards and cable are. So basically, if you can carry it on your back or by foot from the pavement to the water, then have at it.

Also, bringing a canoe in with the small wheeled dolleys is allowed at this access as well.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: Old Weaver Launch/Beaverdam rec area, Falls Lake/Wake County

Thank you for the clarification Rangergreg281.

I am considering getting a small boat to fish places like Beaver Dam (electric only) but would still like to have the capability to use it other places.

If I got one with both a small gas engine (for other waters) and an electric trolling motor, would I be able to use it on the trolling motor on Beaver Dam, or would I have to take the gas motor off the boat before using it there?

I've seen some comments on other electric only waters that would seem to imply that the boat cannot have the gas motor, or at least no gas tank aboard, when running these areas, and it could make a difference in what I end up buying.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

How hard is it to get here from Durham? Will be there for almost the whole week next week.

Not very hard. You can I-85 to Hwy 70 to NC 98. Take 98 east for approximately 15 miles or so. Take Hwy 50 north for about 6 miles. Turn right onto Old Weaver Trail and follow it for about 2 miles. The access is on the right.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you for the clarification Rangergreg281.

I am considering getting a small boat to fish places like Beaver Dam (electric only) but would still like to have the capability to use it other places.

If I got one with both a small gas engine (for other waters) and an electric trolling motor, would I be able to use it on the trolling motor on Beaver Dam, or would I have to take the gas motor off the boat before using it there?

I've seen some comments on other electric only waters that would seem to imply that the boat cannot have the gas motor, or at least no gas tank aboard, when running these areas, and it could make a difference in what I end up buying.

The Gas motor would have to be removed from the boat. I'm in the same boat...er...situation as you.:D I have a 14 ft jon boat and I have to take the motor off of it when I enter Beaverdam as well.

There have been occasions where we do permit gasoline boats on Beaverdam lake. NC Division of Water Quality was allowed a gas boat through a special activity permit. Also, we have them on there for emergency purposes only, but those are the only times gas motors have been allowed.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome aboard Greg - we are very glad to have you here. We appreciate your expertise with the rules and regulations & for sharing them with us on this board.

I moved your introduction to it's own thread so folks could greet you proper!

Thanks, I appreciate the forum and the ability to educate good honest fishermen about the rules. As with anything the state touches, the regulations seem to get pretty convoluted. If anyone has a question and I do not know the answer, I will do all I can to find out.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Greg, I fished many a day around your place when I lived near the "Hurrikins" as the old folks call that area... Didnt have a boat back then so it was handy!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You know, I've heard that term "Hurrikins" before. What does it mean?
many years ago a several hurricanes came through and really tore up a large area between Youngsville and Durham through Granville county and the edge of Wake. I think one might have been hurricane Hazel... The old timers from then on called the area the "hurrikins". No one knows exactly where it starts or ends but the general area is called that. It is also known for the "unusual" kind of people that seem to come from that area...LOL I won't fill in that blank:confused:, let's just say, well tanned of the neck...:rolleyes:. LOL!!!! I used to own a body shop there beside Nine's Auto Parts in the 90's, so I became very familiar with the locals.. It was called BodyDoc's. I lived in Franklinton from 1984-2005 and got married (again) and moved to Washington NC.

Reactions: rangergreg281

·
Registered
245 Posts
Adding my welcome and my thanks for making NCangler.com an extension of your work. Hope you don't limit your NCangler participation to rules & regulations and get a chance to share in some of the actual fishing talk too!

Glad to have your assistance in the detanglement of rules and regs but I agree with jeffonnc as well, I hope you are able to enjoy the site as much as I have.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad to have your assistance in the detanglement of rules and regs but I agree with jeffonnc as well, I hope you are able to enjoy the site as much as I have.

To say the least. I have really been enjoying some of the fishing articles and techniques that some anglers have posted here. I'm hoping to get out in the back yard and put some of these things to work in the next few days while I'm off duty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome aboard RangerGreg ... and thanks so much for the clarification, as you've likely read on the forums here .. we've had a bit of a discussion.

Tried to catch you one night last week, I'm sure your wife relayed the message. Please thank her for me.

As I'm sure you know .. I stayed a "bit" past sunset .. 10PM .. didn't wish to bend the rules to the breaking point ...

I'll likely pull some all nighters out there .. should we advise you .. i.e. leave a note w/ cell #'s on our vehicle in the event you need to contact us while we're out there ?????

Once again .. THANKS !!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome aboard RangerGreg ... and thanks so much for the clarification, as you've likely read on the forums here .. we've had a bit of a discussion.

Tried to catch you one night last week, I'm sure your wife relayed the message. Please thank her for me.

As I'm sure you know .. I stayed a "bit" past sunset .. 10PM .. didn't wish to bend the rules to the breaking point ...

I'll likely pull some all nighters out there .. should we advise you .. i.e. leave a note w/ cell #'s on our vehicle in the event you need to contact us while we're out there ?????

Once again .. THANKS !!!!
No need to contact me or anyone else. We close the gated areas of the park (off Hwy 50) and do not allow anyone there after hours, but there is no practical or possible way to close off an entire lake. Also, I've spoken with the other rangers at Beaverdam / Sandling Beach and they are all of the same opinion as I am.

As stated in my other post, As long as I'm not disturbed in the middle of the night and you don't build an illegal fire, I'm absolutely fine with anyone fishing at the access either on shore or by boat.

So come out, fish on and good luck!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.