NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just registered and this is my first post. I have been looking at the site since last October when I visited my son who lives in Raleigh. My wife and I are considering moving to the Charlotte area and will be heading that way to scout it out in a few months. I am hoping some of you could suggest some areas to live in that are within an hours drive to some decent fishing. Currently I fish out of a canoe and really like it but If I move near a lake or lakes that would be better suited to a boat then I will probably purchase a boat as well.

i don't want anyones honeyholes I will just be looking for homes somewhat near to lakes or rivers/creeks where I will have a chance at catching some fish.

i fish here at home (Chicago) for largemouth and northern pike. So if you could suggest some lakes and rivers/ creeks that have some decent populations of gamefish then I can look for homes in those areas. Thanks for any info.

I fished in Jordan Lake while I was there in October and did ok. I put in at Robeson creek canoe access and really enjoyed that smaller water. I fished it until it opened up to the big lake then turned around because that water was too big for me and my solo canoe. Hopefully you can help me and I will make the move to your state.
Thanks ~JOE~

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Welcome, are you going to be working in Charlotte, or needing to go into town often. All of the lakes on the Yadkin River Chain have some great fishing (stating with High Rock and ending with Blewet Falls) The Catawba Ruiver lakes also have good fishing (James through Wylie) which opens up some smaller towns all through the Piedmont area when looking for a home. The area around Raleigh is good as well and it would put you closer to the coast. I am in the edge of the mountains, (Hickory) check it out on one of the map sites and if you see something, town or water that interest you send me a PM and I'll let you know as much as I can.

Darrell

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Darrel. I recently retired so I can live anywhere. I would like to be near some lakes or rivers/creeks that I can fish and at least have a chance at catching some fish. Normally here at home I fish in the mornings for a few hours and maybe some days in the late afternoon. I enjoy catching bass , pike , and panfish. I am a catch and release fisherman and don't really care about size or species I just enjoy getting out on the water.

So we are open to living anywhere as long as it is safe and fishing is near by. Thanks ~JOE~

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Hi Joe, let me know when you make it in to town. I'll be glad to point you in to areas to seek housing (and where not to) as well as show you the various lakes all within an hours drive

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the offer pgarick. It will be a few months until we come down to house hunt but when we do I will contact you through the site. Until then I plan on reading and searching the site. I already have gleaned some good info. here. Thanks ~JOE~

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been looking at homes on line and found one that is really nice. The home is in Pikeville. What type of area is Pikeville. Is it rural? My son lives in Garner so how does it compare to that? ~JOE~

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Some great info and even greater people here, Joe. Welcome to NCAngler!

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
I have been looking at homes on line and found one that is really nice. The home is in Pikeville. What type of area is Pikeville. Is it rural? My son lives in Garner so how does it compare to that? ~JOE~
Is that Pikeville, or Pineville? Pikeville is close to Goldsboro while Pineville is just outside of Charlotte

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was Pikeville. I looked at the town website and there are only 600 residents. Quite a change from Chicago. The house was gorgeous, listed at 235,000. Here that house would easily be over 500,000. Is that area basically rural? If it is that's ok. It looks to be fairly close to the coast so fishing there would be an option. I have never fished salt water and am not sure if I would know how or if my gear is up to the task. What about the inland fishing there or near Raleigh? I fished Jordan Lake and Wheeler. Wheeler was better suited to my canoe but I caught fish in Jordan ,got skunked at Wheeler.

One more question, would I be safe to assume that I will have to purchase a boat to do any serious fishing or are there small lakes 100 acres + or - near Charlotte or Raleigh that I can fish from my canoe. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the responses so far. ~JOE~ p.s. pgarick are you a golfer? I love golf too.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
It was Pikeville. I looked at the town website and there are only 600 residents. Quite a change from Chicago. The house was gorgeous, listed at 235,000. Here that house would easily be over 500,000. Is that area basically rural? If it is that's ok. It looks to be fairly close to the coast so fishing there would be an option. I have never fished salt water and am not sure if I would know how or if my gear is up to the task. What about the inland fishing there or near Raleigh? I fished Jordan Lake and Wheeler. Wheeler was better suited to my canoe but I caught fish in Jordan ,got skunked at Wheeler.

One more question, would I be safe to assume that I will have to purchase a boat to do any serious fishing or are there small lakes 100 acres + or - near Charlotte or Raleigh that I can fish from my canoe. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the responses so far. ~JOE~ p.s. pgarick are you a golfer? I love golf too.
Yeah, I'm a golfer as well but prefer the salt :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So after a week of house searching online we are really considering the Goldsboro area. It isnt far from my son who lives in Clayton and I have seen many homes there that meet our needs. How about the fishing within 1 hour? I like bass fishing and I like fishing from my canoe. I dont need trophys, I am looking for some water I can fish for 2-4 hours and maybe catch half a dozen fish.

I wouldn't be opposed to catching a trophy but that is not my goal. I like to get out and enjoy nature and if some fish come my way that is a bonus.

If you fine folks could make some suggestions for the Goldsboro area for smaller canoe friendly water and also some lakes that would be better suited to a trailered rig then I will do my research from the info provided. Also I am a catch and release fisherman and would never steal anybodys honey hole. Just point me in the right direction and I can go from there.

We wont be making the trip down till some time late August or early Sept. So when I do come down it would be nice to get together with some of you. Thanks so much. Also how do I post pictures? I have some photos of Chicago bass if any one is interested. ~JOE~

G

·
You won't find many fishing holes in Pikeville. I grew up there.
Mostly a rural farming community.
There's some good places up and down the Neuse, specially back around the power plant near Quaker Neck back towards Goldsboro.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that info about Pikeville. I will be in the state in August. We plan on looking in the Goldsboro and Charlotte areas for homes. I am doing my homework now, reading the reports on this site and then checking out the locations mentioned and trying to get info about those bodies of water.

~JOE~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.