NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would stop by and say hello! I am new to fishing in NC. Been down here for a few years now but I am in the Marine Corps and I was deployed for a while and I haven't really had a chance to get out and fish. trying to get a new rod and reel. If anybody has any good Ideas that don't cost an arm and a leg I would appreciate it. I need a good all purpose rod and reel that will be used for freshwater and some saltwater. I am thinking a Medium light to medium action rod and spinning reel. Happy Fishing to all!:D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hi Alien319 and welcome to NCangler.com. First let me say THANK YOU for your service to our country. You have my respect and grattitude. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions on a rod/reel outfit. What type fishing do you want to do most? The size of fish you're targeting will make a big difference in trying to bridget between fresh and salt water.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hey Alien319,
Welcome to NC. I was just down to Camp Lejuene for the Marine South show. Too bad we didn't meet then. Check your exchange they stay pretty well stock with some nice outfits. I think 6'6" or 7' medium action combo would be a nice place to start. It will work nicely for freshwater and some inshore fishing. You may want do consider something different once you start chasing bigger fish.

Tom

·
Registered
271 Posts
Greetings Alien319. I salute you for your service to our country. I am retired Navy and was an LCAC craftmaster for many years. I hauled a lot you LAI marines around in the first Gulf war. Glad you are stateside safe and sound for now. About your fishing rig; I say go with a 7 ft rod. That will handle most inshore saltwater, surf, and can freshwater fish with it, too. An Ugly Stik is hard to beat for the money. Add a Penn 4500 or 5500 on it and you're in business. Hope you catch plenty and post often.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will probably be fishing in freshwater the most, mostly for Bass, Crappie, pan fish and catfish. Saltwater mostly flounder, sea bass, croaker and such. Nothing to big. Thanks for you advice and I will be checking the exchange and other places around here!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.