NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new halogen submersible lights. I am going to be going fishing in the albamarle sound close to edenton and I am not really sure what to use for bait. I was planning on just using my cast net and getting some of the bait fish that i attract in and maybe some shrimp or maybe even some chicken liver. Does anyone have any other tips on bait or even the way to go about using the lights or where to position my boat.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The bait you attract will be the best thing to use, but I would also use artificial baits that closely mimic the baits that are gathering around your lights. Maybe even use something like a gulp bait. Some species, like specks, spook real easily around lights, but will still come near, just outside the ring of light. Be sure to make some cast well outside the light and work it in.

If you can try to catch some bait during the day before you go.

For the bait you catch - carolina rig the minnows and float rig the shrimp. I hope the water's warm enough for you to see some of both.

As for timing, the best time is the same as daylight, the 2 hours before and after the falling tide.

That's just my 2 cents. I'm sure some of the other guys on here can give better or more detailed advise. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ParrotHead said:
Maybe even use something like a gulp bait.
ParrotHead said:
somewhere around around #127 is gulp:D (Hope and prayer).
OK, Parrot, what are you trying to do to this guy?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ok you caught me...

Sometimes my bait is just for Hampsteadfishing:D. He didn't take that one:mad:. But you can't blame a guy for trying.

And you'll notice I said "something like gulp", I try to keep my loopholes open.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yeah, sorry. References to the regulars' favorite (and adamant un-favorite) baits. Let's see, there are a few topics in the "TackleMonkey" thread, but if you either wade thru the whole thing, or look at the posts including pics of tackle boxes, you'll get a bit of an introduction.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1194

Hope it helps -- didn't mean to sound come across clique-like, but I guess it happened.
Lefty

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
uscgfisher, I used to fish permanent lights alot for trout but not submersibles. I found that under permanent lights the trout really tend to be very spooky and very picky. Be patient fish slow and let your bait swim down current on a freeline thru the lighted area from the shadows and up to about 25' past the lighted area and then recast. If freelining wasn't working then out came the mirro lures. Sometimes it would be mirrolures first but still patient and slow fishing is in order. The water is still pretty cold up that way so don't expect much action. Normally the bite for trout is about 1am til 3am so plan accordingly if fishing permanent lights. I think with portable lights most of this will work similarly but I have only used them in freshwater. I wouldn't get discouraged if you don't have much luck right away because the water is still a little cold up there but if you can find deepwater near some large dark mud flats maybe the water temps will be a little warmer in the vicinity of the drop off. Hunt these areas especially way back up the creeks. AL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.