NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have recently been looking for a place to river fish and actually found a awsome spot privately owned on the Nuese...The are is about 25 feet deep with some embankments running along side the channels....i just have some questions since i have not really been river fishing in the Nuese before....

1. This time of year with it being hot would Cats and ect. be in the deep channels or more likely to still be feeding in the shallows?

2. What kind of fish are in the Nuese besides Cats brim and Bofin.....(Bass crappie...rock fish?)

3. Best bait to use would be a live briem im assuming...?

4. What time of year do the rock fish run through the nuese in the Goldsboro/WalnutCreek area?

any additional tips ect. would be greatly takin!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm in goldsboro and the neuse river is one of the most under rated fisheries in the state if you ask me. early spring (feb-apr) the shad run will be going on. the rock fish will start to move up during that time too but they are not as thick. bass can be caught in any feeder creek. this summer hasint been to good because of all the high water but we have still caught a few fish. cats can be caught rear round if you know what to look for, have a boat, and have the will to withstand the cold but the spring-early summer is the best time. most summers the water will get really low and in many places you can wade, that is the best time to fish for brim and bass. fish brdiges, logs, rocks, and ledges and be very productive. the creek that runs out of walnut creek is actully really good for bass fishing. wade it and throw plastic worms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! only bad thing is i don't have a boat...(which is very depressing) so ill just be able to bank fish but the place i have to do it is on some privately owned land with the wildlife association...which they gave me a pass so i can fish there and not get ran off....Also i tryed yesterday with chicken livers and had no luck...now i know briem are pretty much the best bait....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome TCann, all of the above is correct, bream/eel ar great baits for cats in Wayne county. I used to fish in or near super deep holes all the time, but some bowfishing buddies have told me they have seen cats, big cats stacked up in 4 ft holes when the rest of the river was flat & only 2 ft deep. I fish near a 20' hole. caught my PB 37 lb out of it in '05. Lately I have been pulling numbers of medium sized fish from a shallow flat(6') near a 14' hole that has a submerged logjam. They go shallow to feed at night. Flatheads live in those logs, but they roam a little in summer. I'm sure they get a belly full of bream also using those logjams for cover. There are some massive cats in the Neuse. Check out the photo wall at EZ Bait 7 tackle on 117 south is you want to see some monsters! PM me sometime, you don't HAVE to have a boat for the Neuse, but it helps, It' s LOW right now and perfct for Kayak/Canoe or like some have mentioned above, wading. Tight lines- see ya on the water!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts