NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here she is not pretty but hull and control hardware are in good shape. I have a lot of work to do, First step getting the engine running then strip the interior and carpet and put in seats and of course get a Trolling motor. Are there any must haves that I am not including this is my first boat and I cant afford to dump alot of money into it(a buddy gave it to me which helps alot).

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Don't spend a dime on anything else until the motor runs. You may find that just the cost of getting an old motor going is more than it would cost to buy a running engine. Figure $1000 for anything used worth having if you had to buy a motor. Mercury is a good durable old engine as are Johnsons and Evinrudes.
From experience, a project boat can be a money pit of the worst kind. But if the motor runs good and runs out on the water well, you can nickle and dime the rest.
You'll have to buy plugs and at least a new water pump impeller and a flush kit, fuel tank, 2 cycle oil, lower unit lube, battery...probably kits for the carbs, just to see IF it will run.
Don't confuse "idles well" with running either. You can spend alot of money going from "runs" to "runs at full throttle on the lake"...
I bought a running, solid,fishable 15' runabout off ebay for $1000. So the deals exist if your determined to hunt for them. Consider the money you'll spend over the next few months and compare it to what you might buy for that amout. Looks like you might have a good solid trailer, so you might buy a saltwater fished boat for a deal with a rusty trailer.
Just something to consider.......

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Good luck with it man. I wish I had a buddy willing to part with a boat for me. :D The thing I saw when a buddy of mine bought a boat like that he had to replace the floor of the boat.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
bankandsurf---Looks like the hull can restored-- I'm just a jack leg mechanic-- engine will be a gamble--look for burned paint on head which will indicate it has overheated--also when an old engine sets unused for a long period the seals will get brittle in lower unit--depends on on how well it was maintained-- may get much more life--maybe the more you fix it-- the broker you and it gets. Merritt Marine in Hillsborough usually has a good inventory of used parts for older engines. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Good luck on the project! Definately have some work ahead of ya. Definately post progress pix as ya go! ;)

Second on the recommendation for Carl's help (Merritt Marine in Hillsborough), cant go wrong with Carl, he know's them older motors really well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.