NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dave Stewart at Minnesott Beach Bait and Tackle put a 10' Blade on my NauticStar this week! Can't wait to get it on the water!

I cannot say enough good things about Dave! Great work, great price, and great conversation to boot. Business the way I like it; old-fashioned, fair and honest!

Here are some pics:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Looks good and I know you'll love it. It'll change your life. First time using it you'll ask yourself "how in the world did I ever fish without it?" And you'll then claim that you'll never own another boat without one.
Thats me. I use mine all the time in many different situations.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
very nice Capt Dave is "good people" !!

Reactions: rollcast and dbeam

·
Registered
597 Posts
Neilslure "Thats me. I use mine all the time in many different situations."

How can I convince my wife this is needed (just bought a new Minnkota 70 sw trolling motor) she will ask why can't I just use the anchor or poke a long stick in the bottom?

Capt. Dave is THE MAN

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I have a "stick it" pin and its very handy for much less money , but it's no power pole!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
A power pole is a nice addition to a boat. I've always wanted one but I can't justify the cost with my boat being worth maybe 2x that of the power pole. I've had a few variations of stick it pins. An 8' stick it, a 12' kingpin 1 piece and I used to have a 15' 2 piece. The 15' was my favorite but was a ton of trouble and the company no longer makes them.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Neilslure "Thats me. I use mine all the time in many different situations."

How can I convince my wife this is needed (just bought a new Minnkota 70 sw trolling motor) she will ask why can't I just use the anchor or poke a long stick in the bottom?

Capt. Dave is THE MAN
How I use mine:

Beaching- when I hit the bank for whatever reason I dont have to worry about my boat blowing or washing sideways. If there are rocks or something I can push the boat back out in the water and drop the PP by remote and tie the front end off to the bank.

Docking- I use it to keep my boat from hitting the dock or turning while its tied up, this allows me to get a spot on a crowded dock as I can put the nose of my boat between 2 that may be paralell to the dock or pull in paralell to the bank.

Flipping- When I am flipping boat docks, stumps, matted vegitation or bushes, and the wind is blowing I use the PP to hold me in place or stop the boat keeping me from blowing water into whatever I am fishing with the trolling motor. I can also stop and retie, unhook fish or cull without worrying about drifting into the bank, docks or bushes.

Target fishing- If I am offshore structure in shallow water I use the PP to hold my boat in place, this makes repetedly hitting the same stump or brush pile easy, if the boat pivots one little bump of the trolling motor is all it takes to pivot back. Also invaluable for sight fishing in the spring being able to hold in place without muddying the water or spooking the fish.

Saves the day: If I ever lost use of my trolling motor during a tournament, I am pretty sure my PP would help me be able to fish the rest of the day to catch that last fish to finish a limit or one fish to get points.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the Minn Kota Talon? I have an opportunity to purchase a new in box unit for what I consider to be a great price. Comes with a three year extended warranty (not sure through whom)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I've never used one, but here are My thoughts on the talon...1) it's electrical. Electronics break. 2) it doesn't fold down out of the way. 3) a VERY reputable charter captain had one on his boat and took it off and bought a power pole. 4) it's electrical (did I already say that?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Reading through some of the online reviews doesn't help much. There are those that love the Talons and others that curse it's existence. One post claims that he is on his third warranty replacement in less than 12 months.

That doesn't leave one feeling warm and fuzzy

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reading through some of the online reviews doesn't help much. There are those that love the Talons and others that curse it's existence. One post claims that he is on his third warranty replacement in less than 12 months.

That doesn't leave one feeling warm and fuzzy
I read the same review. Also spoke with several people who sell both, and they told me that they see many more talons coming back for warranty work compared to the Power Pole. Also heard great things about Power Pole's customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Power Pole customer service is second to none. Here is copy/paste from my Facebook page of my experience with power pole customer service. This was back in September.....

I would like to take the time to give credit where credit is due. Thursday around noon I was up on a mud flat searching for reds for Saturdays Carolina Redfish Series tournament. My Power Pole got stuck in the down position in some deep soft mud. With a falling tide I needed to get off the flat but the pole wouldn't budge. I exhausted all of my ideas and then called a few fellow fishermen asking for advice. None of them had experienced this before. I then called power pole tech support and was given advice on what to do. Put the motor in gear and pull up on the pole with a rope. I did just that and with a lot of force and pulling with everything I had I got the power pole up and was able to get off of the flat. Only problem was it bent the hydraulic cylinder and busted my u channel making my power pole inoperable. With the tournament in less than 2 days and winds forecasted at 15 mph out of the NE things weren't looking good. I called power pole up and explained to them what happened, took pics and sent to them and in a few short moments had shipping confirmation for an overnight shipment for all new parts. Less than 12 hours later the FedEx truck delivered my parts and with the help of Capt Dave Stewart (authorized repair center for power pole and minn kota) had it back together and working good as new. A huge thank you to Power Pole and Capt Dave for your superb customer service.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Talon is operated by a self contained electric motor, Power Pole is hydrallic and has an external pump mounted somewhere in the boat.

I have heard of the Talons getting jammed up with mud since the spike retracts into the unit. I have seen my power pole come up with clumps of mud on the spike many times. The other reason I chose a Power Pole over a Talon is the fact that I can lower and raise it to get under a low bridge with the push of a button. With a Talon you need a tilt bracket and have to fiddle with the bracket to it raise or lower it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.