NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michael Hall, a Senior at Topsail High School in Hampstead, NC caught the potential world record Yellowfin Grouper yesterday. The fish weighed in at 42 pounds and 10 ounces bettering the old record by 6 ounces. Michael was fishing with his father and David Mason (all of Hampstead, NC) on David's 35' Pursuit, Knot Kiddin. The fish was caught using a Blue Water Candy 7 ounce ROSCOE jig! The fish is being inspected by the a NC DMF biologist and is being submitted to the IGFA for the world record.

I should have a picture to post later on today.

Congratulations to Michael and the rest of the crew! And kudo's to Roscoe - we always knew you were a winner!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I bet that young man had some tired arms after bringing that baby up. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The NC DMF biologist certified the fish as a new state record but unfortunately because the rod was handed to Michael right after the fish was hooked, the IGFA will not recognize it as a world record. It still beat the current record though.

Attached are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if somebody hands you the rod, that's a DQ'er? What's the rationale?

Congrats to Micheal Hall on the state record!
The IGFA records are individual records. I guess the IFGA considers that if anyone else touches the rod then the angler was "assisted". Seems silly to me as it isn't like they fought the fish for him or something. Charters guys pass off the the rods all the time. He should still get the state record according to the DMF biologist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.