NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Just got back a couple of days ago from a month long business trip and getting back into the swing of things. Hit the water on the upper portion of New River and Southwest Creek yesterday evening, 25 July. Needless to say didn't have to much luck in the regards to fish. Spent some time at sunset at the mouth of Southwest Creek, and then moved to Wallace Creek afterwards till after midnight, no luck for me either places. However while cast netting for some more bait around 2300 IVO Gottschalk Marina and Wallace Creek I did net a little over 3 dozen medium to large size shrimp in four casts. Looks like the shrimp are coming in. Also caught a couple finger mullet but it seems that there quantities are not as numerous as they were last year.

Now that I am back and have some down time for the next two months, its time to get my fishing back on. I still have to yet to catch a fish worth keeping on my new boat. Going on 4 months now since getting the boat, guess I should also factor Work Tempo in that too though. I can catch fish no problem from the shore but this boat-fishing thing is new to me, ha ha.

When boating I have been using a Styro-foam bobber with a 2 foot leader and a circle hook with any type of live bait that I hook through the mouth up into the head. What I have been finding is that when I get a strike especially last night, the bait is bitten off from mid-body and the head remains on the hook. I thought for sure I would have something last night while fishing next to the Marston Pavillion Bridge on Wallace Creek since there was a lot of activity on the water at that time but nothing materialized. Was really surprised when I used some of the live shrimp and nothing bit.

Anyone have any suggestions on places to try, rigs to use, ways to bait the hook?

Good luck and safe fishing,
John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, my neighbor said the same thing about hooking through the tail. Tried it with the shrimp last night and broke my bad luck streak. My boat has finally been christened with some fun fishing. Finished the evening with 4 large mouth bass, 1 Red Fish (red drum), 1 sheepshead, and 1 really large Gar. Ended up forgetting my camera so no pictures this time. Shrimp were thick as the mesquitos. I had my bait well full of large shrimp in just a couple of casts. Fished over in the Southwest creek again, then back along Hospital Point, and finished up along the Wallace Creek Bridge.

Thanks again. Any suggestions for Flounder fishing?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Carolina rig with finger mullets or cut strips from larger mullets. Drift along edges of channels 8ft to 14 ft deep. Also the Gulp shrimp on 1/2 oz jig heads work very well for slow jigging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.