NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have tried and retried to call the outfitter in sparta without success. Does anyone know if they are still operating? Any recommendations for another outfitter for new river floats?
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Zaloo's canoes was open on Sunday.... Near New River State Park.

Good camping there at the state park or at Racoon Holler campground. I recommend Racoon Holler if you have a camper, great place.... with a private lake that has some nice sized bass in it.

Reactions: wademaster

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Zaloo's canoes was open on Sunday.... Near New River State Park.

Good camping there at the state park or at Racoon Holler campground. I recommend Racoon Holler if you have a camper, great place.... with a private lake that has some nice sized bass in it.
I've heard great things about Raccoon Holler. I may be visiting that campground for the fourth.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got a hold of them couple weeks ago, they have a Virginia and Sparta number, I called the Virginia number. They were booked solid last weekend and I'm sure this weekend. We had to go north of Wytheville to camp and come back to Foster Falls to wade fish not catching but a few.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My 1st preference for campground is Twin Rivers Family Campground in Crumpler, NC. http://www.twinriversfamilycampground.com

I know they rent tubes, but not canoes/kayaks

Rivercamp USA is a decent campground, and they rent canoes/kayaks with shuttle service. http://www.rivercampusa.com/

Riverside has canoe/kayak rental, but don't offer much in the way of camping. http://www.riversidecanoeing.com/

All of these are within a mile of each other, with Rivercamp and Riverside being across the river from each other.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
136 Posts
New River Outfitters if you were unable to get a spot a New River Campground. I work at New River Outfitters. I agree with michael that Twin Rivers Campground is nice!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Mountain Man, we usually pop in at New River Outfitters while we're up there during the week. I'll try to holler at ya if we do. We carry our own canoe/kayaks up, but sometimes have to get a shuttle. New River Outfitters is another good company to work with for a trip.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
RiverCamp USA is right next to Zaloo's Canoes or whatever you call it. It's a decent campground. There's actually a private spot for groups with its own bathroom and everything. Quick access to the south fork, Helton and even VA locations.

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
We've only ever rented canoes from New River Outfitters and used the paddle-in only campground (no vehicle access). Was a great trip, but not sure if that's what you're looking for.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
RiverCamp USA is right next to Zaloo's Canoes or whatever you call it. It's a decent campground. There's actually a private spot for groups with its own bathroom and everything. Quick access to the south fork, Helton and even VA locations.
Zaloo's is way up on the South Fork at 16/88. Surfrider, that paddle in only campground is called Allegheny Access and it is a cool place indeed. The rock cliff opposite the campsite is over a billion years old, one of the oldest rock formations known in the US.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Rivercamp USA is right across the river from Riverside Canoe Rentals at the low water bridge on Kings Creek Rd. on the South Fork.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Cadman, Are you planning on having them drop you upstream at Bridle Creek? If so, use caution at the 2 rapids where the river bends right away from Battlefield Road. The first is a class II with a hydraulic and the second is a class III chute.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts